Is this true???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DcSmile06, Mar 28, 2012.

1. DcSmile06

DcSmile06 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Texas
    i was getting my chicks today and the guy asked if I wanted boys or girls only. I asked if he know how to sex them He said ( and Ive heard this before) "if you hold them upside down by their feet the boys will flap and fight and the girls will just lay there and calm down". Has anyone heard this as true. I tried it once with my moms chickens and it was right but wondering if that wasn't just a coincidence.... [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Old wives' tale. None of the silly things you hear about will accurately indicate the sex of your chicks.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i think there is a thread on here about that and for the most part those that have tried that it has been correct each time

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's always amazing to me how many weird things people come up with for determining chick gender, when just waiting two weeks and knowing what to watch for is pretty fool-proof.

Hanging your chicks in various positions does not work, throwing them about doesn't work, putting them in water doesn't work, divining through casting bones or examining shells doesn't work, poking them doesn't work, etc.

Sorry, just my soapbox. It's really confusing to people who are new to chicks when other supposed 'seasoned' people make up stuff.

5. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I agree. I've heard some crazy, cruel sounding ways to tell gender. (Are you sure reading runes won't work??) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by