Is this unusual behaviour? What is she?

The bullying seems to have stopped after the first few days. No more blood, Carmens feathers are fine, not picked, so I think we will just keep an eye for more bad behaviour before we put the peepers on. They don’t look like they would be very comfortable for the birds. We got some No Pick, which will will apply to Carmen if they pick on her again.
All three of the girls love to be out in the snow, and one of the leghorn likes to go for walks with my wife and the dog. Canadian chickens, go figure!

Attachments

• 6D8C27AC-D506-4264-9786-3D1B0C447382.jpeg
    6D8C27AC-D506-4264-9786-3D1B0C447382.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 6
We got the peepers, and nopeck, but by the time they arrived, things seemed to have settled down. No more blood or ruffled feathers. She started laying, and gave us about half a dozen eggs over two weeks, during the deep freeze when it was -15C. Then two weeks ago, she stopped laying. Still seemed to be healthy, no changes in behaviour. She was eating well, getting out for half a day to free range, and seems to be getting along with the two leghorns.
yesterday evening, she seemed lethargic, didn’t want to wander more than a few feet from the coop, and her tail was down, comb seemed pale. Couldn’t see any blood or picked feathers. We were going to check her for mites today (after reading about possible causes in BYC last night), which would be tricky, as she doesn’t like to be held.
It was moot. I went out this morning, and she was dead. I felt for eggs to see if she had been egg bound, but she really didn’t have those symptoms, and I couldn’t feel any egg. Checked her vent and under her wings, and there was no sign of mites, skin looked fine. The two leghorns are happy and healthy, so I am at a loss.
E789DAC9-825F-4255-A9E1-1CFE10727C34.jpeg

Roosts need to be higher than nests.
Here's an excellent modification to that kind of coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535
Hi aart
two weeks ago we had a warm spell, so I took advantage, and replaced all the roosts in the coop As you suggested. I used 2x4s, sanded the corners, put one near BUT ABOVE the nesting boxes, and another in the run. They seem to spend much more time on them than the previous roosts, which were 4” diameter pine logs, and lower than the nests.
Unfortunately Carmen died last night (see latest post in this thread), so we only have the two leghorns left.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Without a necropsy, it would be hard to know why she died.

You are in Canada so you may want to send the body for necropsy. If not possible and you still have the body, you can perform an informal necropsy yourself to see if there's anything obvious. Take some photos and we'll try to help you with what you see. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...ls-and-crops/animal-health/pathology-necropsy

Roosts need to be higher than nests.
Here's an excellent modification to that kind of coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535
Hi aart!
I spent some time this spring adding a roosting area for the chickens. The existing coop had no room for higher perches, so I added a ‘granny suite’ on the back. The leghorns are three months old now, and love the roost. The roost has two 150W infrared reptile bulbs for winter, and there is a 5” fan blowing out. As well, two side windows, and the door window open and close for ventilation. We are getting them used to being on the grass by using the dog pen.
Thanks for the advice! 08EB811C-12AC-4F15-9717-00F717F5D3DC.jpeg B008FD0E-A8B4-4B16-BB02-D2F01273FAA0.jpeg 3944BF94-10A2-4970-AAD9-BE6FC499FF89.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom