Is this unusual?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama Hen Chris, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I was so excited when my EE laid her 1st egg on February 2nd. Then on the 5th, another and then another on the 11th. She was 26 weeks old when she started. Well here it is 4 weeks later and no more eggs from her.

She is eating, pooping and acting like the rest of the gals and looks very healthy to me. I see no signs of egg eating or her laying them somewhere else in the run. Either my daughter or myself is home to observe at any given time and she does not seem interested in laying anymore beautiful green eggs. [​IMG] We even have a web cam so I can watch from work.

Is this unusual for a gal to stop laying just when she started? Her comb is pink again and not red. We provide a light that comes on at 5 a.m. and goes off at 7:00 p.m. in their run and coop.

I miss my green eggs.

Josephine (caught her in mid sit)
    [​IMG]

The girls eggs
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, it's not unusual for them to stop. Their bodies are adjusting to the egg laying process. Just give her some time and she'll start giving you green eggs again.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    All of my EE hens did that, had me tearing my hair out.

LOVE the cross stitched rooster!

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Same here. I was worried about that too but asked on here a couple of years ago and was told that is just the way they are. They bless us with those pretty eggs whenever they feel like it! It is so true. I have found no rhyme or reason, they start and stop when ever. The only thing I have noticed is I have 2 of them and when one starts or stops the other follows suit within a few days [​IMG]

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    [​IMG] Lovely birdie and I like those green eggs!

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Not rare at all, EE's tend to be known for that. Mine didn't lay for a month.

7. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease everyone. I am just relieved that it isn't something serious. I guess when Josephine is good and ready, I'll get another pretty egg. [​IMG] I will just have to wait patiently. [​IMG]

8. katgirl

katgirl Hatching

Aug 27, 2010
    Wow. I came to this forum tonight with the exact same problem! A few weeks ago our EE gifted us with 3 gorgeous green eggs, but nothing since then. I was worried that she might be impacted so I'm glad to hear that this is normal. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

9. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well I don't know about the EE habits...but she sure is a pretty bird.
    I hope mine will be that pretty when she grows up [​IMG]

10. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Thank you from Josephine... she is a very pretty gal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: