Is This VA Law True?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickaroo!, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Songster

Dec 27, 2007
    Well, I just experienced my first death of a chicken last Tues. She was a barred rock and I loved her, so I want another. I also am looking for a buff oprington, and possibly a welsummer roo.

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Songster

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. I might be able to help you with a welsummer roo if you don't mind a chick. I have welsummer eggs from Mothergoose in the bator right now, due to hatch April 2nd. Mothergoose does a good job sexing the chicks at a week old.

3. mommy9994

mommy9994 Songster

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    seems noone acctually follows this law:lol:

I bought 2 banties from TSC 2 weeks ago as, along with 2 ducklings. There was a sign that the pullets had to be bought in lots of 6 or more-- but I saw a lady buy only 4.

Sorry about your birdie. We had to cull my son's buff orp a month or so ago.

4. OHChick

OHChick Songster

May 8, 2007
    hey there, i was told the same thing for Ohio, that the laws say you have to buy 6. even if you're picking them up.

weird, but whatever. i'm just going to split my order with my neighbor.

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    In Maine, the state law says that you can only buy a minimum of 6 chicks (under a certain age), and it is to discourage impulse buys.

6. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Songster

Dec 27, 2007
    That sounds good AussieSharon! Keep me posted [​IMG]

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Seems like you only oughta be able to buy a six-pack of 2 mth. old lizards, turtles & froggies then, too. . .and eggs, and chicken breasts . . . . .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  8. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Songster

Dec 27, 2007
    [​IMG] True, very true!

9. mergmet

mergmet Songster

I have heard this also, until fully feathered no chicks in less than increments of 6

I will be posting soon on the Aprl 12 Swap

M

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground

The law is the same here in MA. Which wasn't a problem for me, I ordered 15 from the local feed and grain. May 7 they come in - I can't wait![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: