Is this vent gleet or something else? Looks a little like some other pics I’ve seen here but not completely.

Update: Got home from work and she was out and about. Didn’t see any fresh sticky and wet running down her backside. I went out tonight to soak her and apply meds for the 3rd night. Much less red toward her underside and was all dry.

I’m assuming this is healing now?

So I took her to the vet yesterday. She’s on Clavamox for bacterial infection. She still has urates sticking to vent but not as much. I continue miconazole as per the vet. All I’m reading say no to antibiotics but vet said to use them. Some yeast in poo I brought in for fecal tests. Random droppings picked up. Also had some white spots on her throat. Tested and were bacteria.

I’m concerned this is going to cause issues but I’m not the vet.

I explained to the vet about being recommended to that I not add anything to the chickens water like vitamins and probiotics because it can be too much. So; just before this happened, I didn't add anything to their water for about 2 weeks. We had a fair amount of rain in that time.

She said its really all about the environment the chickens are kept in when it comes to their health. There are pros and cons of both free range and run kept chickens.

She told me that it does not take long for their little bodies to be overrun with bad bacteria especially if they are not on a quality feed or have things they need added to their water.

What I used to do was set up three waterers. One fresh; one with vitamins and one with probiotics. I let the chickens decide what they needed. I am going back to that.

She told me that probiotics multiple times a week was not bad. Just offer them some plain water as well.

I am aggravated with myself.

I am still bathing and putting cream on her vent along with the vets Clavamox. They all get probiotics in water everyday. She’s chipper and fine, eats well etc.

I have purchased a probiotic to put on their food instead of water.

I also have Manuka Honey. Anyone know how much is safe for chickens and how to feed honey without a mess?

Each morning I’ve checked it and it’s been empty. At night when she gets her meds; it’s full from eating before bed

There is no nasty smell from her at all. I just don’t understand.

I know the Clavamox and the probiotics are fighting each other inside but I’m aggrevated here. Her vent is pink; nothing is really red or raw anymore. She just keeps getting poopy butt. I’ve trimmed the feathers

The vet said that her poop didn’t have a lot of yeast in it. Nor did any of the other specimens. She said it wasn’t technically gleet but to keep the cream up. They’ve been emailing me to check every day.

Today I did a deep clean of the coop. Everything out. New sand annd pine shavings and first Saturday lime. I sprayed everything down with water and vinegar mix. Added pine bark pieces to the areas of the run that gets really wet in the rain. Half the run is covered; the other half is not.

I’m so aggrevated.

Back
Top Bottom