Is this vent gleet?

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
My Polish girl CJ was singing the egg song this morning, urging her sister Jewel to get out of her favorite nest box. I thought it was comical because it seemed like she thought she could speed up the process by jumping to the song at the end. I came back a few hours later to collect both eggs and was rather surprised to see only Jewel's egg in the nest.

I decided to find CJ to take a look at her to be sure she was ok. When I found her, she was off to herself with a messy vent. I soaked her for about 30 minutes in an epsom salt bath and thought I might feel an egg just below the vent. When I removed her from her bath and wrapped her in a towel (just draped it over her really, didn't squeeze her) she made a gas-passing noise, so I removed the towel to find a nice sized chunk of chicken poo that was of normal consistency. There was a little bit on her bum, so I rinsed her off again, towel dried her, and set her inside the coop. She immediately found the pop door and showed herself out. While she was headed down the ramp, clear liquid came from her beak.

She wanted to go preen her newly cleaned feathers, so I left her alone for awhile and returned to find her looking all messy on the backside again. I'm rather new to chicken illnesses and don't know what is wrong with her. Suggestions?
20190925_181614.jpg

20190925_181611.jpg

So, I inserted a finger with Prep H, and I didn't really feel like there was any protruding tissue. I do think I feel an egg at the bottom of the vent. I thin she might be eggbound.

Tagging some people that have dealt with this and know what they are doing to help you, you have to be careful treating this so she doesn't end up with infection or end her laying days.
My recommendation would be a spot of coconut oil orally, and on the vent to prevent the prolapse from drying out. continue 2 times a day with the epsom salt soaks, see what the others think, it may be infected

@Wyorp Rock
@oldhenlikesdogs
@Eggcessive

So, I inserted a finger with Prep H, and I didn't really feel like there was any protruding tissue. I do think I feel an egg at the bottom of the vent. I thin she might be eggbound.
Can she poop?
You are feeling an egg at the bottom of the vent? When you feel inside the vent the egg is down, not straight in or up? Does it feel like it's behind tissue?
She didn't lay an egg today at all?
Yes, that is a partial prolapse, but if you are feeling an egg, then she may have an egg stuck or what you are feeling is in the abdomen, hard to know over the internet.

IF she is alert and not lethargic or distressed, you can give her another soak in an epsom salts bath. Feel inside the vent about 1-2" and feel for the egg - try to figure out where it is.
Give her extra calcium - you can give her a crushed up Tums or 1/2 tablet Caltrate.
You mention she had clear liquid coming out of her beak - is the crop full of fluid too? Be careful handling her and don't press the crop, the contents can come back up and she might choke.
That exposed tissue, if it does not go back in, then keep it moist. You can use hemorrhoid cream, anti-inflammatory cream, honey, coconut oil, etc. - it needs to stay moist so it doesn't dry out.

Can she poop?
So, obviously, there are urates in her feathers, but I don't think she is getting the solids out. She did have a rather large solid poop after her soak. Her vent looked a bit better after the soak as well, at least for a few minutes.
You are feeling an egg at the bottom of the vent? When you feel inside the vent the egg is down, not straight in or up? Does it feel like it's behind tissue?
Truth is I really don't know what I'm doing. It feels hard beliw the vent, both from the outside and when a finger is inserted, but I now am thinking I wasn't feeling far enough inside after reading your instructions to feel 1-2" in.

She didn't lay an egg today at all?
No egg today or even in the last two days, which is fairly normal for her. We get about four to five eggs a week from her. If it helps, she has had really large eggs, many of which look body checked or somewhat irregularly shaped.
Feel inside the vent about 1-2" and feel for the egg - try to figure out where it is.
I'll have to do this tomorrow. I cleaned her up, put Prep H on her, and out her back to roost for the night.
is the crop full of fluid too?
Her crop is nearly empty of both rookies and liquid. She didn't eat before going to roost but did drink a little.
Be careful handling her and don't press the crop, the contents can come back up and she might choke.
Yes, I did know this and try to be careful when handling my girls. She want being handled when the liquid came up. I had set her down about two minutes prior.
That exposed tissue, if it does not go back in, then keep it moist.
I will try my best. I sprayed her with Vetericyn and put the Prep H on her.

Back
Top Bottom