Is this waterer a decent option?

Happy Novogens

formerly Gimpy Quail
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
outskirts of Phx, AZ
Is this waterer a good idea? We don't have chickens yet... still preparing. We plan to start with just 2 or 3 laying hens (Orpingtons). We're in the dry desert so water evaporates quickly here. Was thinking this might be a good idea.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Attachments

• waterer lo res.jpg
    waterer lo res.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 15
I've never used anything like that either, but with your dry climate, it does looks like a good idea.

I like open drinkers opposed to nipples or cups since my birds stand and drink deeply during hot humid days. I assume yours would too.

Place the water station in the shade too. It's one of those things I would be constantly checking to make sure it's free flowing since birds tend to kick debris in water stations, even if they are somewhat covered.

I have an old model like this in my grow out pen (5 gal)
I can slosh debris out, plus I don't need to fill every day.
1656269754013.png

I use black fortiflex water pans, too, because it is so hot right now that
my hens are soaking their nasty little chicken feet when not drinking.
I am changing the water/refilling them daily.

No matter what you use, it needs to be checked every day. Weird things happen,
right now I have to keep dumping toads out...waterers plug up, waterers crack...
For y'all in the high desert, that continuous flow system might work well. How long will your supply hose be? I have to monitor water temps here and let the hose run a minute to get cool water from it. It would not be good if you were refilling the waterer with hot water from a sun-baked hose.

. It would not be good if you were refilling the waterer with hot water from a sun-baked hose.
Good point. We're running a waterline underground from the house to the run/coop. But from there it will be above ground. Thanks to you bringing that up, we'll have to see if we can't come up with something.:hmm Maybe we can wrap it in a pool noodle? Would the chickens try to eat/peck that you think?

Maybe we can wrap it in a pool noodle? Would the chickens try to eat/peck that you think?
Yes, the chickens will peck it and probably eat it.

We're in the dry desert so water evaporates quickly here. Was thinking this might be a good idea.

Some evaporation might be a good thing, because it cools the water that is left.

For just two or three hens, I would probably try something like this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harris-farms-poultry-drinker-5-qt-2167654?
It's fairly cheap, and holds more than enough water for that many hens, I think even allowing for evaporation.

You can test for evaporation even before you get chickens-- buy a waterer that looks promising, fill it with water, and check it for the next several days. That will tell whether it evaporates fast enough to be a problem.

Is this waterer a good idea? We don't have chickens yet... still preparing. We plan to start with just 2 or 3 laying hens (Orpingtons). We're in the dry desert so water evaporates quickly here. Was thinking this might be a good idea.

Opinions? Thoughts?
I use a 5 gallon waterer. I fill it every couple of days. I like it because it prevents a lot of evaporation. My de-icer is under it. My chickens can drink all they want. Just my preference. I have tried the little cups, they didnt like those. Any galvanized is going to rust very quickly. So i stuck with the plastic.

Attachments

• 20210821_155719.jpg
    20210821_155719.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 3
Good point. We're running a waterline underground from the house to the run/coop. But from there it will be above ground. Thanks to you bringing that up, we'll have to see if we can't come up with something.:hmm Maybe we can wrap it in a pool noodle? Would the chickens try to eat/peck that you think?
Chickens love styrofoam, pool noodles and other insulation type materials...this link is about chickens in the desert https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/18343802

Back
Top Bottom