Is this weather good enough?

cackleberryandco

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
near Chicago, IL
I live out near Chicago where the winters are bitterly cold. We have our coop/run surrounded in plastic wrap with the top open for ventilation to block out the wind/rain/snow and keep them a little warmer. Today I am planning on (hopefully) removing the plastic wrap. These are the temperatures for the next 10 days or so... do you think it's mild enough that they'll be comfortable without the plastic? Thankk you :)

Photo didn't come through.

Temperatures are fine. If you're nervous, just take the plastic off the leeward side for a week or two until you're sure. :)
I added another post with the picture. I appreciate it! I was just a little worried about nighttime when the temps drop but I'm sure they'll be able to cuddle up in the coop... plus it has walls. Just a bit nervous because this has been my first winter with chickens, but I'm so glad it is nearly over

I added another post with the picture. I appreciate it! I was just a little worried about nighttime when the temps drop but I'm sure they'll be able to cuddle up in the coop... plus it has walls. Just a bit nervous because this has been my first winter with chickens, but I'm so glad it is nearly over

My chickens have faced temps in the teens in their Open Air coop without problems.

I did put a tarp on part of the wire wall because we can get storms from any direction.

0111221352b_HDR.jpg

Chickens tolerate cold very well as long as they are dry and out of the wind.

Back
Top Bottom