Is this what’s left of an egg?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

A5D4414A-B4B9-431B-AC48-22B2F3219160.jpeg

Shes getting better!!!!

Update. I think the eggs I’ve been getting are from layer two

There has been a soft egg under the roost 4/5 mornings. I’ve been chalking it up to my broody not letting her off the perch until I let them out. Tonight (about ten minutes ago) I heard a commotion and investigated. She just layed another soft egg.... from her roost. There was still wet on her feathers around her vent. Caught red handed.

Are they supposed to lay at night???

Are they supposed to lay at night???
A softshell egg is hard to move down the pike,
no hard surface for contractions to work with,
and can be dropped anywhere and at anytime.
Not uncommon with new layers, can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Broodys can be big bullies.
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics might help here.

7x7 with 20’ of usable roosts. Nest boxes are 4 exterior boxes.

Run is only 4x7. Gives a little outside option in case they are forgotten and kept locked inside. Otherwise they have free reign of 5 acres.

15 bodies total. One being bossy broody and four 6 week old youngsters. Plan is to sell 4-5 pullets at POL

Back
Top Bottom