Is this what’s left of an egg?

MarkJr

Free Ranging
Jun 15, 2020
Been suspicious of my new pullets starting to lay. I’ve locked them in coop and run for last few days. Today I find this under the top roost (shoulder height)

Is this egg slime remnants??
414BD16A-86BE-4A70-917C-C760FA882B1D.jpeg

Does two spots mean two different eggs?

Just as with us humans, nutritional needs usually set up a craving for foods that supply the nutrients that are needed. Layers will crave oyster shell as their bodies demand calcium to replace the stores they are drawing on in order to make eggs. Just make it available, and they will eat what they require.

I have an "oyster shell bar" where I hung an old home made wooden tool caddy on the side of the coop filled with oyster shell. I also fastened several cans to the inside of the run filled with oyster shell so they have it handy wherever they happen to be when the craving hits. You can't have too many oyster shell dispensaries.

Oyster shell is calcium carbonate and is water soluble. That means it dissolves in water or inside the digestive tract of a chicken. Ideally, the oyster shell should be large bite size particles, not crumbles and powder, so they remain inside the digestive tract as long as possible before breaking down. That way, maximum absorption of calcium is achieved.

OK you all can call me weird.
I had a good idea of the pullet that laid the above egg. I felt sorry for them, and turned them out at 2:30 vs 530-600 pm. Immediately the one that I thought laid this egg separated from the flock. Ten minutes later I found her back out in the hay. Followed her around as she desperately looked for a new nest spot..... 8-10 times I rousted her out of the newest spot. Try 11 was back in the coop. I haven’t so much as looked in the window. She’s been in there 35 minutes now..... maybe I herded chickens correctly for once and she will stay laying in coop. Wish me luck!!!!

PS Do I have to do this for each pullet????

Is there any sign of shell remains or is there just that collapsed membrane? My guess would be a novice layer produced a shell-less egg and it ruptured when she stepped on it. Then she and her pals finished off the contents of the egg.

If the egg ruptured inside the chicken, though, you may see one of them acting lethargic if there is any egg still inside of her. This can become infected and result in a chronic reproductive infection. It bears close watch in case you need to step in and treat with an antibiotic.

As a rule, even though some new layers have glitches in the beginning, they usually resolve on their own and they go on to lay normal eggs.

Now you held my hand!!! It’s a membrane!!

So is this officially my first egg???? Will she automatically know to eat oyster shell???

Thank you much. I’m having a ball learning here!

Back
Top Bottom