1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this what she says it is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheHappyHen21, Jul 18, 2016.

1. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    Interested in buying this hen. She said shes a buff/lavender orpington. I think the one on top is a roo and the one on bottom is a hen. What do u think??[​IMG]

2. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    How old? Then one on the bottom looks like it has slate colored legs so some sort of Easter Egger. It looks like a pullet though.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No. The top bird is a buff/splash mixed breed. Lavender not only dilutes black coloring to grey, but also red/gold feathering to a very pale yellow/white.
    The bottom is a very mixed breed bird, possibly some Easter Egger and Polish in it.
    Top is male, bottom is likely female.

4. chickenlover570

chickenlover570 Just Hatched

Jul 17, 2016
    I am semi new, but I got a lavender Americauna/EE and his[​IMG]

coloring looks nothing like that. They also had lavender orpingtons and they had the same coloring as him.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2 That bottom one looks like its got a lil bit of everything in it.

6. JaeG

JaeG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    There are people who have tried that mix on here and you get black laced buff/brown or sometimes grey birds. Just do a search and it should pop up. To get blue and buff on a bird the rooster needs to be a splash and the hen a buff.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Agreed

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with junebuggena

9. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two photos i found online what lav/buff cross can turn out like. They look like the ones i posted

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Those birds appear to be blue mixes (lavender, or self blue, and blue are easily confused). Lavender is recessive, which means it requires two copies to present, even if its just diluting another color. Blue does not breed true, you can get black (0 copies), blue (1 copy) and splash (2 copies). If it is blue, and not lav, that would account for the variance in color. My blue/buff crosses look very much like the birds you've posted.

So, essentially, I agree with junebuggena as well :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by