Is this what the long tailed gene looks like....PICS!!

LittleBoPeep1

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2015
Here is my nine week old pullet. She is a cross but has quite a bit of Phoenix in her. Just wondering if she carries/is expressing the long tailed gene or if she just has a normal tail. If she was expressing the long tailed gene, is that a trait she could pass on?
Thanks!
67CA7BC9-5AC5-4184-ACB9-D9C3327C9E70.jpeg

4A345712-D2B1-47FE-A75C-49030261ECDA.jpeg

There are 2 genes. Gt and mt
The Gt gene (dominant) allows continual growth in tail and saddle feathers.
The mt gene (recessive) allows certain tail and saddle feathers to be nonmoulting.

A breed like a Onagadori would be Gt/Gt/mt/mt
A breed like a Shokoku would be Gt/Gt/Mt+/ Mt+
A Ordinary chicken would be gt+/gt+/Mt+/Mt+

Then there is a saddle gene "sg" that causes the saddles to grow long just like "gt" tail growth gene causes the tail to grow long and works independently of "gt" gene.

There are 2 genes. Gt and mt
The Gt gene (dominant) allows continual growth in tail and saddle feathers.
The mt gene (recessive) allows certain tail and saddle feathers to be nonmoulting.

A breed like a Onagadori would be Gt/Gt/mt/mt
A breed like a Shokoku would be Gt/Gt/Mt+/ Mt+
A Ordinary chicken would be gt+/gt+/Mt+/Mt+

Then there is a saddle gene "sg" that causes the saddles to grow long just like "gt" tail growth gene causes the tail to grow long and works independently of "gt" gene.

Thank you so much for your super informative response. Her mom for sure has at least one copy of the gt gene and maybe her dad as well. Definitely is Mt Mt though:)
Thanks again!

There is also Mf (the gene for multiple feathering). She looks pretty good for her age, time will tell though. Check back with us in 6 months!

Also, Gt and Mf are technically considered dominant, but there is a lot of evidence for at least Gt to be more codominant than anything. mt is considered recessive, and like nicalandia pointed out only the Onagadori and certain lines of extreme feathered birds carry this genes for this, ordinary Phoenix do not.

Do you know what else she has in her other than Phoenix? (I'm going to guess maybe game bird, due to her tail angle, type, and lack of white earlobes)

Also, if you want to know if she has some of the feathering traits of Phoenix look for long primary sickles (in some pullets, these can even be pointed and are called 'cockerel feathering' in extreme cases), a full and plush cushion (the hen equivalent of saddle feathers on roosters), lots of multiple feathering (in the form of secondary sickles and a thick cushion; you can also count the primary tail feathers, anything more than 6 pairs excluding the primary sickles is considered mf), and secondary sickles that cover most of the primary tail feathers (and in some cases, extend past the main tail feathers).

Anyways, I think she's a beautiful bird and she needs a bit more time to mature before you can be certain about her feathering.

There is also Mf (the gene for multiple feathering). She looks pretty good for her age, time will tell though. Check back with us in 6 months!

Also, Gt and Mf are technically considered dominant, but there is a lot of evidence for at least Gt to be more codominant than anything. mt is considered recessive, and like nicalandia pointed out only the Onagadori and certain lines of extreme feathered birds carry this genes for this, ordinary Phoenix do not.

Do you know what else she has in her other than Phoenix? (I'm going to guess maybe game bird, due to her tail angle, type, and lack of white earlobes)
Also, if you want to know if she has some of the feathering traits of Phoenix look for long primary sickles (in some pullets, these can even be pointed and are called 'cockerel feathering' in extreme cases), a full and plush cushion (the hen equivalent of saddle feathers on roosters), lots of multiple feathering (in the form of secondary sickles and a thick cushion; you can also count the primary tail feathers, anything more than 6 pairs excluding the primary sickles is considered mf), and secondary sickles that cover most of the primary tail feathers (and in some cases, extend past the main tail feathers).

Anyways, I think she's a beautiful bird and she needs a bit more time to mature before you can be certain about her feathering.
Thank you so much for your very informative and thoughtful response! I will have to look more closely at her feathering. Her dad was a cross with what looks like very strong game bird lineage:)
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom