is this wierd?

Keene's coop

Songster
9 Years
Feb 8, 2010
neenah, wisconsin
so i live on a corner lot in the city (on an island). my chickens are uo against the detatched garage. along side the sidewalk, we have a 15 foot wide veggie garden and next to that we have an arbor with grape vines on it. one side of the arbor touches the garden. then next to that, my husband has a boat in the yard that he is fixing up to sell. so next to my coop, i have to camping chairs so we can sit by the coop and watch our chickens. 4 days ago, i was in the house with the kids i babysit for (very humid that day, so we stayed in most of the day). my next door neighbors granddaughter came running over cuz she thought my youngest was out by the chickens. but she wasn't. some guy and his daughter saw my chickens and decided to come into my yard and sit in my chairs, WHILE I WAS IN THE HOUSE. my neighbor came over and sat in my yard with this guy for a 1/2 hour telling her about his chickens and saying that i'm the 3rd person on the island to have chickens, etc, etc, etc. i didn't know about this until 2 days later when she told me. i was angry.
rant.gif
how rude is that. the guy even told my neighbor that he didn't know me. they were just walking by and saw them. i was angry.
somad.gif
my neighbor couldn't understand why i was mad. she didn't think it was a big deal. well the guy told her that he lives a few streets down from me with chickens. i'm thinking of finding out what house and going and walking in his yard and siting to watch his chickens. i problebly won't, but i might confront him about it. i am so mad
rant.gif
somad.gif
am i the only one who finds this rude or am i just over reacting.
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

I am with you. I think it's all about respecting boundaries.
He might be a nice person and just got excited to see someone other than him having chickens but he shouldn't have just walked into your property and sat there watching them with your neighbor. That's weird.

me and DW have stopped and knocked on a door to ask about chickens
big_smile.png
we would never just go up to them let alone set in a chair and watch them!
ep.gif

i have enjoyed talking to people about thier birds! i would be upset and ask neighbor next time you see someone you know that I dont know on my property to let ME KNOW!!!!

so yesterday i went and found this guys house, but he has a fence around his yard so i cannot just go in and look at his birds. and yes i may be over reacting but for a good reason. a few years ago, 3 guys came into my yard and into my house and robbed us with me and my kids at home. they just went into our basement and stole a couple of thousands of dollars worth of tools. never knew they wee comming in. they went in the door that leads to the basement. we were in the living room where we can not see the door. so this is why i am over reacting. it still scares me to see strangers just walk in my yard. i'm sure he's a nice guy like my neighbor says he is, but how hard is it to knock on the door and ask. is that asking too much? and besides, you can see my chickens clearly from the sidewalk. there's no reason to come into my yard without permission.

I personally think its funny, I might change my attitude if i'd been robbed but we haven't. Stuff like this happens to me all the time, maybe he thought the chairs were there for passers by who wanted to observe the scenic poultry, i'd take it as a compliment. If your really that bothered, which i can understand, just go talk to him.
*btw, was he feeding them? Cause this is in the food section.

Last edited:
I think your reaction is understandable and your NEIGHBOR is weird. Consider putting up a no tresspassing sign. Consider telling your dingbat neighbor that you put up the sign so that strangers would know they are not welcome.

Yeah I agree with Chickenmaven. That guy is weird and very disrespectful, it's not hard to knock and ask for permission!!! I once had a lady come sit on my front porch I called the police, she was high on Meth.
smack.gif

I personally think it's more your neighbor's fault than the man... he may have felt welcomed by your neighbor who was conversing with him... He doesn't know your arrangement with your neighbor, ykwim?

I also think that putting up a fence is always a good idea in order to keep unwanted people and animals from your property. We found that people would walk through our yard on their way from one house to another as well as have their dogs pooping on our landscaping until we put up our fence. I think it's terribly rude, but probably just unavoidable when you don't have any distinct boundaries.

Back
Top Bottom