is this wierd?

i would love to put up a fence but my husband refuses cuz we live on a corner. he thinks that if no one in the neighborhood has a corner property fenced in then we shouldn't. he has very weird ideas about things. i stopped trying to understand them years ago.

Keene's Coop - first, I love your signature - so true!
lol.png

Second, I can totally relate to your frustration at the guy "helping himself" to your chairs and enjoying your birds. We moved to our current home about 7 years ago, and within 6 months had put up fences and moved in our llamas. We live out in the country, and while lots of folks have cows, horses, and goats, not many have llamas. The neighbor behind us has a gravel driveway that goes along 2 sides of our pasture fence. For the first year or more it was like a parade of cars constantly driving up and down our neighbor's driveway, staring at the llamas. I wish I could have collected a dollar for every sight-seer, it sure would have helped with the farm costs!
big_smile.png
We have 4 1/2 foot tall fencing topped with hot wire so I wasn't too worried about folks going IN the fences but I was worried about them feeding the llamas weird stuff. After a while the novelty wore off and it's rare that people do it anymore.

Then the golf cart people started coming by. At first they stuck to the neighbor's driveway but then they started using our driveway to haul in a load of kids to get out and see our animals. I'm not a very friendly person to strangers but luckily DH went out to talk to them and we struck up sort of a neighborly friendship. Although I still don't like their grandkids getting out and climbing over DH's bushhog, at least they keep their visits short and don't try to feed the animals. It turns out that the wife works at my daughter's school so I was glad that we didn't chase them off!

I would suggest a "Private Property" sign at the chicken coop - perhaps a bit less terse than "No Trespassing".

Melissa

i think that is rude of them but i do think you may be overreacting a bit but i can totally see why and if that happened to me (being robbed) i would probably feel the same way you do about strangers however i still feel it was rude of these people although, like someone said, they may have felt welcomed by your neighbor, but still its not hard to knock and ask or just watch them from the sidewalk, you dont just go sit in someones chairs and watch their animals, especially to a total stranger and especially when theyre home, no matter how much you love chickens or how nice you are, or no matter how much you think they wont mind, thats just plain rude, especially when you don't know them or know how theyre going to react, not only is it rude but if you dont know them you also dont know how they are going to react to you, so you are also potentially putting yourself at risk (im sure you're nice enough and like most people probably wouldnt do this but theyre are some people who may have sort of a more old fashioned rural "what are you doing on my property, i hate trespassers and they may hurt my property so get off before i shoot/hurt you" attitude, if you will, so they may really be putting themselves at risk by trespasing, and sorry if im offending anybody by saying this, im not meaning to offend...), plus what is he teaching his kids by just trespassing on someones property without first asking them (even if it is just to watch their chickens)?, so that is really weird...
hmm.png

ETA: sorry i forgot to mention this, but i also think a "private property" or "no trespassing" sign or something of the sort may help. Also, in regards to the burgulars, i am sorry to hear that, did you ever report it and/or get the stuff back? sorry to hear that but glad to hear nobody got hurt. Also, if you don't already have a dog i would recommend getting one or at least a "beware of dog(s)" sign, those are supposedly proven to help deter burgulars, so i think it could potentially really help, it may help with strangers as well...

Last edited:
I think it is rude and I would feel a bit violated.

I live on 10 acres and my house is 150 meters from the road so you can imagine my reaction when I see these two guys wondering past the house and through the paddock. I called the police...turns out they were from the council and thought they had the right to come onto my property if they wanted to!!
smack.gif
That made me furious
somad.gif
& did I give them hell! The police were on my side and told them and their superiors that if they need to come onto my property it needs to be in writing and they need to give me notice.

I like to believe that when my kids can go anywhere on my property and not have a complete stranger there. i don't think you are over reacting, you child could have gone out there and have been talking to him and your neighbor is an idiot! that made it worse by letting him think that it was ok to be there!

just my 2 cents......

about the robbers, before we turned our house back into a single, we had a young girl living up stairs and she knew the guys. she told me the day after it happened. she said she was trying to get them to return the tools on their own but the guys didn't want too so she told me. so i called the cops and all they did was write a report and said the guys probably don't have the stuff anymore and left. i called my husband immediatly and he left work early, came home and called the cops back. and demanded the cops to check the guys house which is behind our house but across the street. as i said, we live on the corner and their house is directly across from out garage. so the cops came back and went to their house and guess what. there was ALL of out stuff in their living room. well now 5 more cop cars came. took my statement, our tenants, and our next door neighbor(a differ one) who saw the guys comming out of my basement door. all three guys were arrested. they also stole a few spools of copper from a construction site that was reported stolen. so yeas we did eventually get all our stuff back plus compensation. our stuff was worth just shy of $1,800 and each of them had to pay us $1,800 each plus they all got jail time. we also got an apology from the owner of the property, which they did not have to do. and the scary thing about this whole robbery thing is that my husband was out of town and just put our lab down 2 months earlier. so it was just me and my 3 small children home alone. i'm not mad that they wanted to come and see my chickens, i'm just kinda mad that they thought that they could just walk into my yard and make themselves feel at home. if i knew them, i wouldn't care. but i didn't. if i could post pics on here, i'd show everyone what they had to do to get to my coop. but for some reason i can not post pics. sorry

if i were you i would call cops he had no right to that nor did your nieghbor i would be so mad at my nieghbor and that guy you dont no what i would do if u were me

I live in a very built up area. I own 1 acre and have horses, goats, dogs and chickens. I always seem to have people wandering onto my property to watch the animals, especially the baby goats. I don't mind, but most of the people ask me if it's ok. I tell them it's ok as long as no one goes in with the animals and adults are with the kids.

Oh, and by the way, I have been burglarized also. Lost a lot of stuff that I did not get back.

I also have major issues with my close neighbors who keep trying to get the state and town to make me sell/get rid my animals. They have come on my property and turned animals loose, stolen stuff, damaged things, and over all harassed me. However, when they started complaining at the town meeting, several of the people who come by with their kids stood up for me and said what a nice place it is and how they love letting their kids see the farm animals!

the only problem i have with surrounding neighbors is that they keep asking when the eggs are comming and how much i'm selling them for
big_smile.png
otherwise no problems. and i don't care if people want to see them, i just don't want them walking in my yard without my permission. one thing i forgot to mention earlier is that i have a dog who chases and barks at people in my yard if he doesn't know they are there. i know he will not bite, but it's a scary thing to a kid seeing a dog running and barking at you. and i can't call the cops cuz i have more chickens than i'm supposed too, but i'm not the only one in the area. so today i'm gonna go over to this guys house and introduce my self talk about chickens. we'll see what happens. maybe we'll end up being chicken friends. you never know.

I live out in the country, we don't get many visitors. When someone shows up that I don't know they get to speak with myself and Mr. Remington! I live within a few miles of 4 different correctional facilities. Anyone I don't know is assumed dangerous until I can deem otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom