Is this wry neck or injured chiken vidoe included

Last edited:
There are 3 kinds of Newcastles disease, and exotic newcastles is not present in the US. It can exist in other parts of the world however. Here is an excerpt from Common diseases from Univ. of Fla:

Newcastle Disease

Synonyms: pneumoencephalitis
The highly contagious and lethal form of Newcastle disease is known as viscerotropic (attacks the internal organs) velogenic Newcastle disease, VVND, exotic Newcastle disease, or Asiatic Newcastle disease. VVND is not present in the United States poultry industry at this time.
Species affected: Newcastle disease affects all birds of all ages. Humans and other mammals are also susceptible to Newcastle. In such species, it causes a mild conjunctivitis.
Clinical signs: There are three forms of Newcastle disease -- mildly pathogenic (lentogenic), moderately pathogenic (mesogenic) and highly pathogenic (velogenic). Newcastle disease is characterized by a sudden onset of clinical signs which include hoarse chirps (in chicks), watery discharge from nostrils, labored breathing (gasping), facial swelling, paralysis, trembling, and twisting of the neck (sign of central nervous system involvement). Mortality ranges from 10 to 80 percent depending on the pathogenicity. In adult laying birds, symptoms can include decreased feed and water consumption and a dramatic drop in egg production (see Table 1).
Transmission: The Newcastle virus can be transmitted short distances by the airborne route or introduced on contaminated shoes, caretakers, feed deliverers, visitors, tires, dirty equipment, feed sacks, crates, and wild birds. Newcastle virus can be passed in the egg, but Newcastle-infected embryos die before hatching. In live birds, the virus is shed in body fluids, secretions, excreta, and breath.
Treatment: There is no specific treatment for Newcastle disease. Antibiotics can be given for 3-5 days to prevent secondary bacterial infections (particularly E. coli ). For chicks, increasing the brooding temperature 5°F may help reduce losses.
Prevention: Prevention programs should include vaccination (see publication PS-36, Vaccination of Small Poultry Flocks), good sanitation, and implementation of a comprehensive biosecurity program.

My 2 year old Ameracauna has started tipping her head back so far when she drinks/swallows that her head rests on her back. Then she'll stumble again to regain her balance. I've never seen this. She seems okay other than this. I am concerned as she is one of my 'pets'.

My 2 year old Ameracauna has started tipping her head back so far when she drinks/swallows that her head rests on her back. Then she'll stumble again to regain her balance. I've never seen this. She seems okay other than this. I am concerned as she is one of my 'pets'.
Does she straighten her neck out after she swallows? If she resumes a normal posture, then it probably isn't wry neck, but she could be having some balance problems. Read a few of the links back in post #11 for wry neck to see if the symptoms fit.

Does she straighten her neck out after she swallows? If she resumes a normal posture, then it probably isn't wry neck, but she could be having some balance problems. Read a few of the links back in post #11 for wry neck to see if the symptoms fit.

Yes, she seems fine but just started tilting her head back this week as she drinks. I know they have to raise their head some to get a drink but this is extreme.

I would start vitamins in her water or food, or use a product such as Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster, that contains the mineral selenium, along with thiamine (B2) and vitamin E. Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

Back
Top Bottom