Is this Wryneck and will it ever go away?

Chickedee

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Lehi, Utah
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all! My 6 week old Golden Laced Wyandotte developed what I think is Wryneck about 2-3 weeks ago. At first I thought her feathers just weren't coming in evenly until it got worse. I started her on Poultry Nutri-drench a week ago, but haven't noticed any improvements. She eats, drinks and acts normally other than her crooked neck. Do I need to be giving her brewer's yeast or something with B vitamins as well? I'm wondering if it will it ever go away if it turns out to be from a head injury or genetics and not
IMG_4891.jpeg
caused by a vitamin deficiency? Do I need to be worried about Marek's or something else more serious? My 10 other birds the same age are completely healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_4890.jpeg
    IMG_4890.jpeg
    651.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
That isn't like wry neck I have seen... Could still be it.
I see no one has managed to answer so I'm just messaging to refresh the page so someone with more experience might answer.
Oh, and a heads up; your 'girl' is a boy.

I have encountered this with a few birds, they showed little to none improvement after administering vitamins specifically thiamine and E for a few weeks. At least in my case, I believe it was genetic.

That isn't like wry neck I have seen... Could still be it.
I see no one has managed to answer so I'm just messaging to refresh the page so someone with more experience might answer.
Oh, and a heads up; your 'girl' is a boy.
Thanks for your reply OneHappyRooster! If it’s something other than wryneck, that would explain why the vitamins aren’t helping. Also, dang it on the cockerel. I’m interested how you picked up that she might be a he. Feather shape, Comb?

I have encountered this with a few birds, they showed little to none improvement after administering vitamins specifically thiamine and E for a few weeks. At least in my case, I believe it was genetic.
Interesting Isaac. Thanks for the info! Did the birds end up dying or just living with the deformity? Hoping it’s the latter...

Back
Top Bottom