Is this yolk sac or something worse? help!

Hezzz

In the Brooder
May 10, 2022
We had a pheasant chick out of the egg early, and he had this protrusion on his belly.
(see pic)
I put neosporin on it a few times a day to try and keep it moist to see if it would reabsorb into him. It didn't.
The hatch was three days ago, and now the protrusion is now drying out.

Can anyone tell me if what I should do, and if this is, in fact, a yolk sack or something worse like digestive system?

help!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-22 at 16.14.46 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-22 at 16.14.46 (3).jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 22
I'm not a pheasant expert (heck, I'm not even a chicken expert) but it looks the similar to yolk sacs on chickens that I hatched recently. If it were its digestive system I doubt it would have survived the first 3 days. Sorry no one answered earlier. How has the chick done since Sunday?

If chicks hatch early, then it is possible that the yolk hasn't been fully absorbed. The protrusion probably isn't a digestive system. I think drying off might mean a good direction :confused: but another picture might help

I think you were right. An unabsorbed yolk. I thought she was going to make it as she was very active and eating fine. This morning she got extremely lethargic, so I held her with a soft cloth warmer until she died. So sad. I guess it was probably omphalitis?

I think you were right. An unabsorbed yolk. I thought she was going to make it as she was very active and eating fine. This morning she got extremely lethargic, so I held her with a soft cloth warmer until she died. So sad. I guess it was probably omphalitis?

Sorry. It sounds like your diagnosis is probably correct. From what I can tell, you did the best you could. My reading says that the yolk sac infection seems fine until it isn't and the only way to treat for small flocks is with systemic antibiotics, which is often ineffective anyway.

She had internal issues. Yolk feeds the chicks for 3-4 days, so chicks with internal issues typically live 3-4 days.

Back
Top Bottom