Is this yours? Or, how many chickens would fit?

You need to figure 4 square feet per bird inside the coop and 6 sq ft per in the run.

Honestly, these things look really nice but aren't always so. I got a Ware rabbit hutch that looked great but....the wood is really thin. If it's gonna be outside you will have to paint it or something to protect it from the weather. Glad I only paid $50 on Craigslist for it and not full price

Quote:
I'll get some pics soon. The Lady thought she had some, but only has a section. I'll get an above shot and a side view later. It actually depends on whether I want to brave the new 1' of snow we have.

B

Hey, bad_coffee,

If you're planning on letting them out some then you'll have plenty of room. I would have said don't bother with much run space, but with your - er - "lovely" winter weather you got there you might just need a covered run now and then to let them have some outdoorsy space that isn't 20 feet deep in snow. But I could be wrong.
tongue.png

From your description you have just about the most secure yard of anyone on BYC! unless you get a hawk moving in nearby - and I hear you get the occasional falcon in NY - your girls will be perfectly safe.

What a neat little country haven!

WANT PICS!!! maggie

/Users/jwatt/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2000/03/02/DCP_1416.JPG

I built that same coop. I have six banties living in it. Could easily house three hens. I added a pull out tray under the house part and a roost bar midway in the run, gives them some diversion. Introducing a silky later may be a challenge once the the girls have set up shop. Have fun and good luck.

I have that exact coop that my BBS silkies are in. There are four broodies in the nest box area brooding right now in the part where the lid lifts to get eggs and a couple more and a roo that hang out below. I put a taller barrier in front of the broody area so eggs don't roll out. It was in "heavily used" condidion when I got it. The floor of the upstairs has fallen out on the corner closest to the door and I have a bucket propping it up right now. That handle thing that slides the door closing in the nesting area will swing in and bash a chicken pretty hard if it slips out of your hand. That is why I have not been in such a big hurry to properly repair the floor. The bucket keeps the handle from cracking one of my hens. I have it on concrete and have modified the floor by putting a raised wire floor just to keep the silkie feet cleaner and more sanitary. I can still bed it with straw or bermuda hay and they do okay. The roof, I wish it was just plain old flat so i could use it for a work space. I have considered making a little "thing" i could just lay on top that would profide me with a level work space. It is just the right height for me, but I am tall. I wish the whole thing was a lot bigger, like eight feet by four feet. Anyhow, that is my asessment of it. Hope that helps.

I used to have one of these... It served its purposed for the 4-5 Cochin bantams that I had in it but I would not buy another one. They are built cheap for what I paid for it. The roof was already split under the asphalt liner when I recieved it. I would never use it out in the weather, it stayed under the leanto. If it is only to house a few LF girlys, my advice would be to use that money to build one of those A-frame coop and runs...

Just a thought, If you want something that can be moved and it's only for 3 hens. Couldn't you design something w/ a lower run? Chickens can be fine in say a 3-4' high run, right? They can be let out for exercise on occasion as they love to run and jump. Wing clipping might be necessary? If you designed something "lower" you could put wheels on the coop end and handles on the run end and then move it around the yard. Since your in NYC, seems to me they could go out everyday, which means the coop would only be used like a bedroom during night. They wouldn't need much head room, right?
Myself I covered my run w/ plastic and w/ a slanted covered top my hens can spend a great deal of time outside the coop and only go in to lay or eat.
With a little imagination you can come up w/ something, I'm sure.

As for the garden, they will eat everything, bugs, plants, tomatoes, squash, parsely, green peppers. I know they decimated my garden last year. I've surrounded it to keep them out.
As for the poo, maybe you could bag it and give/sell it to gardeners in your area. Seems to me a small "waste basket" size bag of poo would go a long way in a NYC size garden.

I can tell things are going to go great for your chicken endeavor, cuz your planning first.

All the best
Rancher

Quote:
I agree. I have one - it is very poor quality and I doubt it would stand up to weather for very long. We even added a poop door and locks/hinges. We also added a plexiglass to the door - they don't come with any glass on them. The nest box is the the same level as the coop. I don't know where you'd put a roost inside. Also I don't think the roof wouldn't hold up to having heavy flower pots, etc on top. They are MUCH smaller than they look from the pictures. I keep mine in the garage and it's only used for a sick ward or chicken jail. For the money I really think you'd be better off getting some good pressure treated lumber and building yourself a custom coop. Good luck and WELCOME to BYC!!!

Just to clarify,

I'm not buying a coop, I'm going to build one. I can't stand paying someone to do something I have the ability and time to do myself.

It looks like the coop will be 3x4x32 up on 16" legs, and the run will be 4x4'. I'm going with 1/2" ply outside walls, styro insulation, and shower board inside. They will be about 1.5" thick when I'm done. The floor and roof will be insulated as well. Total run space will be 4x7 with the space under the coop.

Coop and run will actually be separate. I'll be able to pick up the run by myself, and hopefully be able to move the coop with one other person. After I set up the garden on top, I might not move it too often. . .

B

Back
Top Bottom