Is tubing helpful or prolonging the inevitable

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
The vet said that my chicken broke her femur/near hip. Her leg has so far gone from limp to she can pull it up. She's happy, eating and drinking..........and her stool is runny and that dreaded bluish green. Not eating enough. Should I tube? Today she just flicked all the pellets out of the bowl and really didn't eat anything. She's 6 years old.

Quote:
4.6.1. Refeeding syndrome

Severe electrolyte and fluid shifts associated with metabolic abnormalities in malnourished patients undergoing “refeeding”, whether orally, parenterally, or enterally. Phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium shift to intracellular space leading to sudden drops in serum levels.

• Clinical signs are varied, including neurologic dysfunction and cardiac arrhythmias
  • Do not offer emaciated animals (TS < 1.0) whole food initially
  • Always rehydrate animal first
  • Give B vitamins
  • Give oral electrolytes first
  • Tubefeed formula low in carbohydrates, high in fat with adequate protein
  • If the patient is digesting the formula, move gradually on to easily digestible solid food
-Kathy

Are dry pellets her main diet? If you have time time I would mix it up. My mareks bird always gets a wet mixture of different things with a base of chicken feed.

She eats best first thing in the morning and it is always a mushy mixture of feed, egg, with rice or liver or something thrown in. I work from home so I a have the time to check on her, during the day I throw in extra stuff, when she is in the yard she eats best when I throw food on the ground for her (corn, or soft chicken feed).

Basically she likes variety (and is no doubt spoiled and expects me to bring something new 3 times a day so she is picky).

Seems to me eating is often a "social" thing for chickens just like people, if you watch the flock they often all graze at the same time, or most start to eat at the same time etc... I think a lone bird that doesn't have that social setting to instigate eating may be part of the problem in some cases.

Last edited:
She gets the home cooked meals every day, from Exact to sweet potatoes to French toast to scrambled egg. I think you may have a point about eating alone. In the last 2 days, she's been flinging food and not really eating it. Except bread. She's still laying eggs!

I'm worried because lately she's been doing the Marek's bite into the food but not pick up anything.

Maybe I should move her into a pen where she is next to her flock and in a sling?

Yeah if you can move her in with the flock so she sees them eat (maybe put a little pen around her) that could stimulate her.

And yes, she is likely very high risk for Mareks right now. I decided if any of mine get really ill or injured I am going to start them on antivirals until they are better as often it leads to a fatal case of mareks.

I was thinking about that too. She's lived thru the whole thing without a vaccine. She was born before I got it here. But I did mix her up an antibiotic cocktail just incase there's something eating her intestine.

And yea. She is doing the Marek's thing where they peck at food but don't pick it up. The most I've gotten into her was a slice of bread every day. Lucky me, I had an adult catheter kit from home care and it's a 14 French and an 16 French and looks like feeding tubes. I'm waiting for a syringe. I found one in my storage, maybe I should use it.

I would tube, but you know me.
big_smile.png
Remember to tube fluids first to correct hydration, then fluids with food.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom