?? Is turkey safe to eat with a lump on her face?

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Hello, I have 14 chickens that I plan to never eat, they are pets and egg queens. However I have one female turkey that we would like to have for Thanksgiving dinner. Right now she has a soft lump under one eye. She's on antibiotic water for 2 weeks, as are the chickens due to wheezy breathing and sneezing. Does anyone know if the lump doesnt go away would it indicate that we shouldn't eat the meat? Thank you for any help or direction to a source of knowledge. CE

Up the medication. Use tylan 50 or 200 via injection for 4 days. The solubles for me at least have proven to be a better preventative then treatment. Let me know if you go that route i have dosing written down for both tylans.

I'm treating mine for the same thing right now.Sinus infections.I have already gave injections and am now giving tylan in the water.I am seeing some improvement.I don't know if eating one while it has a sinus infection would cause a problem.I do know I want mine off antibiotics awhile before I eat them.I'm not planning on eating one soon but will most likely next year.Maybe you could wait for her to get better and have a christmas turkey.Good luck with whatever you decide.

I use a syringe and suck out what gunk I can from the sinus, then use a clean syringe and inject Tylan 50 right into the sinus. Then I wait 48 hours to see if they need a second injection. So far I never had to inject a second time. If you use Tylan, don't inject into the muscle, it does muscle damage.

I use a syringe and suck out what gunk I can from the sinus, then use a clean syringe and inject Tylan 50 right into the sinus. Then I wait 48 hours to see if they need a second injection. So far I never had to inject a second time. If you use Tylan, don't inject into the muscle, it does muscle damage.
Exactly sub-cue only. Good tip on injecting directly into the problem.
goodpost.gif

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. I'm sure I cannot handle injecting a turkey. I think I'll take the advice to wait untill Christmas to eat her. Sounds so harsh!. I don't think a sinus infection would make the muscle meat inedible. Do you? I should isolate her and increase her dose in the water but she likes her chicken pack so much that she would be miserable alone. Thanks again for the advice. Best wishes for the winter. CE

Thank you all for your help. I'm sure I cannot handle injecting a turkey. I think I'll take the advice to wait untill Christmas to eat her. Sounds so harsh!. I don't think a sinus infection would make the muscle meat inedible. Do you? I should isolate her and increase her dose in the water but she likes her chicken pack so much that she would be miserable alone. Thanks again for the advice. Best wishes for the winter. CE
Yes you can inject her. It is very easy and she wont even feel it.

Back
Top Bottom