1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

?? Is turkey safe to eat with a lump on her face?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by 4740, Oct 20, 2012.

1. 4740

4740 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Hello, I have 14 chickens that I plan to never eat, they are pets and egg queens. However I have one female turkey that we would like to have for Thanksgiving dinner. Right now she has a soft lump under one eye. She's on antibiotic water for 2 weeks, as are the chickens due to wheezy breathing and sneezing. Does anyone know if the lump doesnt go away would it indicate that we shouldn't eat the meat? Thank you for any help or direction to a source of knowledge. CE

2. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Up the medication. Use tylan 50 or 200 via injection for 4 days. The solubles for me at least have proven to be a better preventative then treatment. Let me know if you go that route i have dosing written down for both tylans.

3. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I'm treating mine for the same thing right now.Sinus infections.I have already gave injections and am now giving tylan in the water.I am seeing some improvement.I don't know if eating one while it has a sinus infection would cause a problem.I do know I want mine off antibiotics awhile before I eat them.I'm not planning on eating one soon but will most likely next year.Maybe you could wait for her to get better and have a christmas turkey.Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    What doses are you giving? Ive found it takes a pretty hefty dose on the turkeys vs chickens, dependent on size that is.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I use a syringe and suck out what gunk I can from the sinus, then use a clean syringe and inject Tylan 50 right into the sinus. Then I wait 48 hours to see if they need a second injection. So far I never had to inject a second time. If you use Tylan, don't inject into the muscle, it does muscle damage.

6. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Exactly sub-cue only. Good tip on injecting directly into the problem. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. 4740

4740 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Thank you all for your help. I'm sure I cannot handle injecting a turkey. I think I'll take the advice to wait untill Christmas to eat her. Sounds so harsh!. I don't think a sinus infection would make the muscle meat inedible. Do you? I should isolate her and increase her dose in the water but she likes her chicken pack so much that she would be miserable alone. Thanks again for the advice. Best wishes for the winter. CE

8. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Yes you can inject her. It is very easy and she wont even feel it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by