Is two too few?

Hummingbird Hollow

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Colorado mountains
Hi folks,

I started my chicken adventure with 8 2 day-old chicks in June of 2011, one of which I lost to a bob-cat in November. I've been resisting the lure of "chicken math" which, at one time had me contemplating the addition of a flock of heritage "endangered list" chickens and some meat chickens for this coming spring. However, I've talked myself down to the addition of two "Easter Egger" chickens, because the idea of adding a few blue or green eggs to my weekly haul is just too strong to resist.

I have found a woman who lives about 90 minutes away who is willing to sell me two 4 week-old pullets, and that seems like a perfect solution to me. I have the brooder, heat-lamp and stuff from last spring, so I have all the equipment. I'm just wondering if two chicks will be OK without all the extra fluffy bodies to snuggle with. Also, any advice on keeping them warm during the drive home when I won't have a heat-lamp available?

2 would be fine but 3 would be better and 4 would be great 5 would be even better etc etc etc!

Yes 2 is fine but I try to have a minimum of 3 if 1 chick doesn't live for some strange reason. Chicken math is a wonderful thing!

Nate

Two should be fine. They are a bit older, so should be getting weaned from heat. Personally I would go with four, just in case of losses. If you lose one, you will only have one.

Warmth- A towel in a box with a lid. Just big enough for them to snuggle and turn around in. You can add a microwavable heating pad under the towel for extra warmth. (If you do not have one, then make an easy one from a sock and some rice.) Maybe the chick person can microwave it for you fresh. Do not worry, they will be fine if they are in a small space, free from drafts for 90 minutes.
smile.png

Quote:
Just remember, not all EEs will lay blue or even green eggs. My so-called Ameracauna is, we are pretty sure, the one giving us the light brown, speckled eggs.
And as for the ride home, I would think the car's heat, set kinda hot and on the "foot" icon, should be good. But, I never have transported ones that young, this time of year.

Nic&Chickies :

Just remember, not all EEs will lay blue or even green eggs. My so-called Ameracauna is, we are pretty sure, the one giving us the light brown, speckled eggs.
And as for the ride home, I would think the car's heat, set kinda hot and on the "foot" icon, should be good. But, I never have transported ones that young, this time of year.

Oh my...now you've done it!
hmm.png
Anyone wanting to chime in on the odds of getting at least one blue or green egg layer with two Easter Egger chicks from an unknown source?

Also, while we're at it. How many hens can I comfortably house in a 4'X8' (6'tall) coop?​

The more space, the better - do they get to free range? Do they have a run? How big is the space they have outside the coop?

My girls have a live-in run that's 8'x8' and I have 6 of them in there. I would like to add two more - a dark egg layer and an easter egger - but logistically that won't happen soon and they're pretty cozy in there since they're on house arrest until they lay.

ETA: I think typically the rule of thumb is "4 feet per bird" in the coop, 10 in the run.

Last edited:
im sure they will be fine...but i would have at least 3 or four...what if something happens to one??...then the chicken will be alone!....
sad.png

Quote:
Yes, they have a run...let's see there is a 4'X8' space under the coop that is fenced as well as an additional 6'X9' so a total of 86 square feet. I also have a "auxiliary" run along side the main run that is a 10'X20' dog run that I can allow the girls out into. I haven't been using that much lately because a) it's not covered on the top and one of my White Plymouth Rocks keeps flying out and b) it is on the shady side of the barn/garage and the snow from two weeks ago hasn't melted.

I try to get them out for a supervised free-ranging experience for about an hour a day. I used to let them out more, but we lost one to a bobcat in broad daylight when I had gone inside for awhile.

So, I guess the answer is I have built myself a coop and enclosure that is ideal for up to 8 hens. I currently have seven and should probably cull one that has had a weird health issue since she was a newly hatched chick. So, my question is answered...two new chicks is probably the right number.

Thanks everyone.

Although I REALLY don't recommend it I raised a single chick once, more of a rescue though. She's perfectly healthy and strong but you really have to have a lot of time for them because they'll be lonely. Which is the leading reason I let my chicken hatch some eggs, now she has other chicks around.

I'd say 2+ but two should be okay, the birds will probably be pals!

Back
Top Bottom