Is water treatment necessary?

xochi16

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
Olive Hill, Ky
Hello all! I had a quick question, I searched the forum and didn't see any related topics. We currently are brooding 18 4 week old chicks, 8 1 week olds and have 6 older girls who are laying. Our water is pretty hard so we water the babies with filtered bottled water til the 1st week. Then we switch to tap water. After they're big and move into the main coop we give them rain water from our rain barrel. It is covered. I have seen Manna Pro's Water Protector and wondering if anyone used it? Or if it had any value? We currently just use Bragg's ACV in their water. Thank you.

I don't use anything in the water. Given their choice, I've found that my chickens prefer to drink out of almost anything over their water bowl anyway - a mud puddle with a little water in it, water pooling in the top of an overturned bucket, etc. So it would seem a little redundant to put something in the water I provide to "purify it"
gig.gif
I collect water off my coop roof into a rain barrel and fill their waterers from that. So, when it hasn't been raining, they get the collected rain water which is mostly clean due to the filter in top of the barrel, but that doesn't stop dust getting in it, and it certainly doesn't stop the ducks making a mess in the water bowl after I've dispensed the clean water into it.

If you're going to put anything in the water, put Apple Cider Vinegar. It's a natural way to clean out their insides and keep them healthy. We have pretty hard water too and we just put 2tbsp ACV per 1 gallon of water and everyone is happy as can be. Sorry don't have any direct advice on the water protectant for you. Oh the ACV keeps algae out of the waterers too!

I don't use anything in the water. Given their choice, I've found that my chickens prefer to drink out of almost anything over their water bowl anyway - a mud puddle with a little water in it, water pooling in the top of an overturned bucket, etc. So it would seem a little redundant to put something in the water I provide to "purify it"
gig.gif
I collect water off my coop roof into a rain barrel and fill their waterers from that. So, when it hasn't been raining, they get the collected rain water which is mostly clean due to the filter in top of the barrel, but that doesn't stop dust getting in it, and it certainly doesn't stop the ducks making a mess in the water bowl after I've dispensed the clean water into it.

X2 Mine would drink out of a hole in the run if it would stay wet all the time.. Other than that they get well water or rain water from a nipple system.

We have hard well water, but it tastes really good. That's all I give to the chickens and they like it. They always come running over to drink out of the dog bowl on the patio, when I clean and refill it. They love all kinds of water in all kinds of places. The dog bowls are their favorite. Mmm... Fresh, cold well water.
big_smile.png

I agree with HEchicken that mine would rather drink out of the nastiest mud puddle than anything I can provide for em.....I do what I can on keeping the water as fresh and clean as possible and let them choose what they want to drink. I free-range mine during the day and provide (5) different waterers including a nipple/rain-water collection system. I do put ACV in all my waterers(not measured just 2 glugs...lol)

Thanks all!! Just wanted to make sure we weren't being bad chicken "parents" lol. We will continue to just use Bragg's ACV! And Hawgon that is a great setup! Do you have any more pictures? Thanks again all!

Xochi16-Thanks-This is all the pics I have of it, hope it helps....Oh, the bigger looking fittings are couplings so I can take it apart to clean and such....Working great so far...

Back
Top Bottom