Is White Dominant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LilChickCoop, Nov 3, 2011.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    After crossing a Brown Leghorn Roo (crossed with a black mottled something with a pea comb) and a white rock, the resulting chicks are mostly white (some with spots). I expected them to have more color.... is white dominant?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

u should post pics! and crossing the leghorn with the moltted chicken created a chicken with white right? then u crossed it with something with more white. so maybe thats y theres so much white

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    White is either dominant or recessive, yes. In this case it is dominant.

Mottling is recessive though.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:and Dominant White is represented as I/I, and i+/i+ is the wild none dominant counter part. I/i+ birds can be almost white with some black(or blue if blue is pressen) leakage

that was dominant white and its wild counter part.. now to the recessive white gene, which is a different gene.

recessive white is represented as "c" and can only be seen(white bird) if said bird is homozygous for it(having 2 copies of c/c). AND C+ is the wild dominant none white gene and if a bird is C+/c it will be black. only a mating of C+/c x C+/c will yield some recessive whites. or if you mate C+/c with a c/c(recessive white) bird..

here is Tim schooling
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by