Is wing clipping any type of parrot an act of cruelty?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Is wing clipping any parrot from a parakeet to a macaw considered cruelty? I was at another forum and one user asked if wing clipping a bird will make it easier to tame it. The responses from other parrot owners was that wing clipping is cruel. Is this really true?

Is wing clipping any parrot from a parakeet to a macaw considered cruelty? I was at another forum and one user asked if wing clipping a bird will make it easier to tame it. The responses from other parrot owners was that wing clipping is cruel. Is this really true?
I don’t find it cruel if done correctly. But at the same time I see what they mean…

I have a cockatiel, he's 18 and I've had him his whole life. I have clipped his wings for 18 years. When done properly, it is effective for training and keeps them safer. Wing clipping prevents them from flying up so they can't hit ceiling fans or fly into trees if they got outside. When done improperly, it can be harmful to the bird. Get trained by a vet to do it properly but it is very easy to do. And clip both wings, don't do just one

I don’t agree without wing clipping. If you don’t want it to fly, don’t get a bird.
If you are taming your bird, I still wouldn’t clip wings. Just spend lots of time with your bird, use lots of treats and patience. it can take months for your bird to trust you.

If you are taming your bird, I still wouldn’t clip wings. Just spend lots of time with your bird, use lots of treats and patience. it can take months for your bird to trust you.
Clipping the wings keeps the bird safe. If my Georgie ever got outside, I know I can get him back because he can't fly up. Much safer for him

I don't do it anymore because I feel it takes away a natural thing from a bird....something they are meant to do. I would say do it once while you are taming but not again...after taming there should be no reason to.
I know I can get him back because he can't fly up.
Actually, birds with clipped wings (if the clip is correct) can still fly if they get a draft or gust of wind....so it doesn't really help if they get out

Back
Top Bottom