Is your Auracana different from the rest of your chickens? Or is it me

LauraG

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Upstate, NY
My Auracana chicken is 7 months old (not laying yet)

She is so different than the rest of my flock. She likes to hang out by herself alot (I mean across the road at my neighbors house on his porch for hours) and she also likes to hang on my porch by herself.

She is more finicky with treats and doesnt scratch voraciously in the leaves and dirt as the others. She just kind of slowly walks around and pecks here & there.

She loves to be held. I can hold her for hours with her just cooing softly. (my Rhode Island red & Plymouth Rock last a whole 30 seconds in my arms if Im lucky)

Shes just kind of a loner.
The others do not pick on her or anything, but its just odd.

I thought maybe this could be a breed thing, but maybe shes sick or something? I dont know what to make of it....

And people say chickens don't have a personality!!! My guess is that most of the difference between your birds is just individuality.. Obviously there can be differences between different breeds of chickens but it has been my experience that there can be a huge difference between two birds of the same breed as well. I wouldn't worry about her.

Some of my auacanas/ EE's or whatever in the heck they are, pullets tend to be more homebodies. When the rest of the birds go out they will stick to the coop or will not go far from it. On the other hand their brother, being the only rooster I have, is all over the yard tending to the hens. BTW, the EE's were the last of my birds to lay, almost a month and half after the Black Stars of the same age, so hang in there.

My first true Ameraucana was like that when she got sick.. BUT it was a change in her behavior. That's what you have to look for- any big changes. If she has been this way all the time, I wouldn't worry...

Check her crop to make sure she is eating well.. and watch to see that she is actually picking up the things she is peck out.. Try feeding her some treats from your hand and see if she is actually eating or just pecking... My girl seemed like she was eating but then I noticed her crop was empty and when she pecked--it wasn't being picked up just pecked..

Thanks for the input.

Woodmort, Im glad to hear you have one with a similar personality. Again, the crew is out and shes hanging by herself in the coop.....

Dixie- I dont think she is sick- she is actually eating. However, she is shaking her head a bit and has yellow poop. I plan on dropping some Ivomec on her and seeing if this helps.

I dont think she is adjusting to this cold weather as well as the others. I am not heating my coop. However, it is insulated, properly vented and she has quality food and treats and water.

I thought she was a hearty breed, I didnt think it would be an issue

Back
Top Bottom