Is your coop door closed every night?

Is there any where I can trade my 17yr old son in ...perhaps for a few chicks?!

The silly blighter walked out of our run this afternoon and left the door ajar....next moment my wife heard the inevitable raucous and rushed over to find our Border Collie had killed one of our roos...!
hit.gif

A thrashing was dispensed to the dog in the vague hope that he associates pain with chicken theft, but it was my son that deserved the punishment. What's the point of having a secure door if it's left open?!

Rant over. Thanks for your patience...!

I lock all my coop doors every night. One night I did forget, I dont know what happened there, but when I awoke and looked outback to survey my property, all the chickens were outside pecking in their runs. I nearly had a heart attack. Didnt lose a single one, but that was enough to scare me into being SURE I lock the doors every night.

I lock mine up because we had a racoon get ours and it probably cuts done on a drafts, mine havent seen the ground in a week because of the snow and temps.

Coop always closed. I believe my run is very secure but my pop door is closed every night with automatic door closer. I do a head count most nights after the door closes, usually when I walk the inside dog.

It is closed every night, to many critters out there that want to eat my chicken at night
barnie.gif
Love the auto door, but I still go out to do a count on them just in case one is left out.

We definitely close it every night. We have been very fortunate in that we have not lost any chickens to predators in the two years we've have chickens. However, there are lots of foxes, raccoons, etc. around and our neighbours have lost chickens to foxes, so we have to be diligent.

Back
Top Bottom