DevGoddess

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Hey y'all, I've been trying to figure out for the longest what breed my bossiest girl is! Her name is Chocobodia (Bo for short). She looks like so many breeds I find online, lol. In two of the pictures is our other og girl (defo Isa Brown, right?) who we call "Lady", but her full name is "Lady Cluckington III"!

Attachments

• IMG_3818.jpeg
    IMG_3818.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4179.jpeg
    IMG_4179.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4178.jpeg
    IMG_4178.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3823.jpg
    IMG_3823.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
For both of them: I think she could be any of the common Red Sexlink types: ISA Brown, Gold Comet, Red Star, etc.

She is not a Rhode Island Red, or a New Hampshire, or a Production Red. All three of those would have black tails and bits of black in their hackles, while she has white in those places. (There is a gene that changes black to white in the feather coloring of chickens. That gene is not present in the black-tailed red types, but is clearly present in both of your hens.)

They do lay brown eggs, right? Because if they lay blue or green eggs they would be Easter Eggers, no matter what color their feathers are.

Where did you get her? She makes me think of a Cinnamon Queen, which is another bird in the Red Sex Link class. She's not a New Hampshire Red, but one of her parents might be. See the white in her hackles and on the tip of her tail? That's because she's some type of Red Sex Link. If you bought her as an Isa Brown, then that might be what the hatchery is calling her type.

For both of them: I think she could be any of the common Red Sexlink types: ISA Brown, Gold Comet, Red Star, etc.

She is not a Rhode Island Red, or a New Hampshire, or a Production Red. All three of those would have black tails and bits of black in their hackles, while she has white in those places. (There is a gene that changes black to white in the feather coloring of chickens. That gene is not present in the black-tailed red types, but is clearly present in both of your hens.)

They do lay brown eggs, right? Because if they lay blue or green eggs they would be Easter Eggers, no matter what color their feathers are.
Yes, brown eggs all around! And ahh, yeah, those are the 3 breeds I keep circling around!

Where did you get her? She makes me think of a Cinnamon Queen, which is another bird in the Red Sex Link class. She's not a New Hampshire Red, but one of her parents might be. See the white in her hackles and on the tip of her tail? That's because she's some type of Red Sex Link. If you bought her as an Isa Brown, then that might be what the hatchery is calling her type.
Both of these gals came with our new house in December, and the previous owners didn't leave any details, unfortunately :/

Yes, brown eggs all around! And ahh, yeah, those are the 3 breeds I keep circling around!
There is no real way to tell which chicken is an ISA Brown, or a Gold Comet, or a Red Star, or a Gold Sexlink, or whatever other terms the hatcheries use. They are all hybrids that look about the same and lay brown eggs. Every one of them can be lighter or darker, with more or less white and more or less red/brown. I think many of the hatcheries are making the exact same cross and selling them under different names, or sometimes making a different cross and selling it with the same name.

Even though your two look a bit different, they could easily be the same kind (as in, came from the same place at the same time, produced by the same flock of parent birds.)

Back
Top Bottom