ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

My friend has 4 chickens that we are trying to figure out the breed of them. Somebody suggested that they are an ISA Browns. Here are a few pictures of them:

Thoughts?

My friend has 4 chickens that we are trying to figure out the breed of them. Somebody suggested that they are an ISA Browns. Here are a few pictures of them:

Thoughts?
They are NOT ISA Browns. This is an ISA Brown at about the same age. It could be a Sex-Link or a Production Red. Good luck and have fun...

ISA Brown pullets

The chicks when they were older

This is a Red Sex-Link (Delaware female / Rhode Island Red male cross)

Last edited:
I talked to my friend today and she said it wasn't a sex link, she did know that much for sure. She said it was a fairly new cross mixture and she said she was pretty sure the name started with an S. I am lost at what it could be. She got it from a local ranging store. I went and looked at the chickens several times at that place and I don't remember them there. Must have been a special shipment.

I talked to my friend today and she said it wasn't a sex link, she did know that much for sure. She said it was a fairly new cross mixture and she said she was pretty sure the name started with an S. I am lost at what it could be. She got it from a local ranging store. I went and looked at the chickens several times at that place and I don't remember them there. Must have been a special shipment.

Could it be a Red Star?

If it's a cross mixture, it is a Sex-Link. Not all Sex-Links chicks can be sexed by color when they hatch depending on the cross. By looking at the picture you posted, It's either a cross, for example, with a Rhode Island Red, Production Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male and a Delaware female which would produce a Red Sex-Link female offspring that will look like the Production Rhode Island Red which looks like the picture you posted. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

That is what I see. I have hatched out and raised thousands of birds over the years and have experimented with many different crosses. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:
I notice there's not much activity here but thought I might give an update on our 14 ISA brown girls.

They will be 24 weeks old tuesday 8/16. We got our 1st egg on monday 6/27 when they were 14 weeks and 6 days old. We got the 2nd egg on july 4th and it has been building ever since. We got 9 to 12 eggs a day 7/21 thru 7/26. Since then we have been getting 13 or 14 each day with the occasional 12 thrown in. We get 14 about one third of the time, 13 about half the time with and 12 about 15 % of the time. Their reputation as egg laying machines seems to be correct, at least for now.

We get one double yolk almost every day and about 50% of the time we get 2...like today. The 2 at the left are double yolk. We have gotten 13 eggs today (Sunday 8/14) so far and I doubt we will get another as they usually lay before 11 AM...although there is the rare egg after lunch.

Most of the eggs are standard size like our buff orpington's...some a little bigger. As yet we have not seen the large to xtra large eggs as advertised (except the double yolk). However we are well pleased with the size eggs we are getting...if they get larger that will be great. We have not seen any evidence of health issues. They are very mild mannered with us but not so much with the BO's...but get along well enough that we have put them all together. We have a BO rooster who is just finding his hormones and has been chasing the BO pullets (who are several weeks away from being ready for his attentions) and he is working overtime since we put the ISA's in with the BO's. :)

I really like the ISA browns so far and will probably get more in the future if all continues to go well. There are GREAT little egg layers...!

Last edited:
My ISA Browns layed large eggs not really Xlarge or Jumbo. At first the eggs are going to be smaller as with most breeds but they will get larger as the continue to lay. Also I got a lot more double yolks in the first few months but then that slacked off too and I did get some now and then. That is just my experience. I don't have them anymore because I also breed Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites and really ran out of space as I needed the space for my breeding pens. Once I did get a huge egg and it was an egg inside an egg and both eggs had double yolks.

Last edited:
I love my ISA girls. This is their first season and I've been doteing on them since 3days hatched this March.
Here they are in the hawk denier pen.

Back
Top Bottom