ISA Brown with one blue leg

baileypaiger

Hatching
Sep 26, 2020
Hello fellow poultry people! I have a very strange pullet that I acquired at a few days old from a tractor supply. When I first brought her home she had two yellow legs and recently her leg started to turn blue. She is walking fine and the leg appears healthy. I have scoured the internet and a few books but have found nothing. She was labeled as an ISA brown which I believe to be true. I’m just dumbfounded. The tint is only on her one leg.
20F0ACDB-1245-4E88-A549-90358F078776.jpeg
26E42F44-8C5A-4172-8FCB-D5DC475B3FBC.jpeg

It looks almost like there is no circulation in her leg. Does she walk normally? If you put your finger to the bottom of her foot, does she curl her toes around it? Can you feel any breaks in her leg?

It looks almost like there is no circulation in her leg. Does she walk normally? If you put your finger to the bottom of her foot, does she curl her toes around it? Can you feel any breaks in her leg?

From my assessment it seems to have good blood flow and no breaks at all. She is walking and running just fine.

Just to clarify: the leg was yellow, and turned darker as time went on? (The colour didn't just turn up out of the blue?)

Well I have around twenty of them and I just noticed this today. I’m not sure if it gradually happened or not but it was not that color a few weeks ago.

Well I have around twenty of them and I just noticed this today. I’m not sure if it gradually happened or not but it was not that color a few weeks ago.
I'm wondering if she somehow stepped in something. From your pictures, that does not look like a natural shade of blue—it looks like some sort of paint, almost. How a chicken could possibly have stepped in any sort of dye right up to the knee, and not gotten any on her feathers, I don't know, but I've never seen a chicken's leg turn blue naturally either.

EDT: And on that note, have you tried washing it off?

Back
Top Bottom