Isa Brown x White Silkie Possible Colours?

Dec 21, 2020
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
I want to breed my silkie rooster with 2 isa brown pullets i have coming soon!, I've seen that different people have different results and ideas, Does anyone know the possible colours that the offspring could have? I've heard black, brown & white. Could anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!

White silkies are usually recessive white. Red sex links (isa browns) are usually red columbian with a single copy of dominant white. I’m going to assume that your white silkie has partridge or black under the recessive white, which is most common, but certainly not the only two possibilities. If that’s the case and he has partridge under his white, you’ll get white chicks with red leakage, black chicks with red leakage, and/or possibly a messy partridge pattern either in black or white. If he has black under the recessive white, you’ll get white chicks with minimal black spots, black chicks, black chicks with red leakage, white chicks with some red leakage, and/or white chicks with minimal black spots and some red leakage.
If he doesn’t have partridge or black under his white, or it’s dominant white instead, the results will be completely different. However, expect some white/mostly white chicks and ones with red leakage/patterning.

White silkies are usually recessive white. Red sex links (isa browns) are usually red columbian with a single copy of dominant white. I’m going to assume that your white silkie has partridge or black under the recessive white, which is most common, but certainly not the only two possibilities. If that’s the case and he has partridge under his white, you’ll get white chicks with red leakage, black chicks with red leakage, and/or possibly a messy partridge pattern either in black or white. If he has black under the recessive white, you’ll get white chicks with minimal black spots, black chicks, black chicks with red leakage, white chicks with some red leakage, and/or white chicks with minimal black spots and some red leakage.
If he doesn’t have partridge or black under his white, or it’s dominant white instead, the results will be completely different. However, expect some white/mostly white chicks and ones with red leakage/patterning.
Wow! That's really interesting, Thankyou so much

What if he didnt have any partridge, black etc under the white and he was 100% White? What would the offspring look like?

That wouldn’t be possible with recessive white, but it would be with dominant white. If that’s the case, his offspring would be white and/or mostly white with varying amounts of red leakage.
If i were to mix a dominant white silkie rooster with a partridge silkie hen would the offspring be 50% white 50% partridge or a blend of the two?

If i were to mix a dominant white silkie rooster with a partridge silkie hen would the offspring be 50% white 50% partridge or a blend of the two?
They would be “blended”. That is, if the rooster had two copies of the dominant white gene. Assuming that’s the case, the offspring would basically look like red pyle silkies. With smooth feathers they would look red pyle wyandottes (not to be confused with buff laced wyandottes).
5B7A71ED-8F0F-46D0-AA5D-3ECFF9B57319.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom