Isa Browns and winter

akdunn

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
Hi there! I live in the north Florida area and it usually gets cold till about 30 degrees or maybe high 20s. I was wondering how hard are Isa Browns during winter? And if you know how hardy California whites and wellsummers are too that would be great!

I have ISA browns and they are fine in the winter, most chickens are. They have a layer of down and their bodies turn into little mobile furnaces when it’s cold; just make sure your coop has proper ventilation and they will be fine. Remember chickens survived and evolved just perfectly fine, as outdoor animals, long before humans started caring for them.

I have ISA browns and they are fine in the winter, most chickens are. They have a layer of down and their bodies turn into little mobile furnaces when it’s cold; just make sure your coop has proper ventilation and they will be fine. Remember chickens survived and evolved just perfectly fine, as outdoor animals, long before humans started caring for them.
Ok, thank you so much! Oh yea I forgot about that! hahah

Hi there! I live in the north Florida area and it usually gets cold till about 30 degrees or maybe high 20s. I was wondering how hard are Isa Browns during winter? And if you know how hardy California whites and wellsummers are too that would be great!
Well..I had four ISA Brown hens survive their first winter here in Minnesota...when it got down to -35F for two consecutive nights...and they all survived. They spent the daytime in the covered run, where it was still -22 during the day. I think you will be fine in north Florida. Wish it could only be as cold as your temps here... :)

Well..I had four ISA Brown hens survive their first winter here in Minnesota...when it got down to -35F for two consecutive nights...and they all survived. They spent the daytime in the covered run, where it was still -22 during the day. I think you will be fine in north Florida. Wish it could only be as cold as your temps here... :)
What's crazy is that folks down in there would love to have 5 to 7 days of weather at 35 degrees or lower. The python population cannot handle being cold for that length of time and it kill off all of them. We were told in February when we went on a tour of the Everglades; they had 3 days of cold weather when we visited so that's why we were told this tid bit.

Yea! 👍

Back
Top Bottom