Isa red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by autumn_mi, Sep 13, 2009.

1. autumn_mi

autumn_mi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Mt Morris, MI
    My question is if there is such a thing as an Isa Red? or is it the same as an Isa Brown? The guy we bought her from said she was an Isa red - but all info i have found online refers to just Isa Browns......wondering if this is a different variety or not

she is about 20 weeks old and pictured here with the Silver Laced Wyandotte and Australorp we bought her with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    There is not Isa Red

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Right, there isn't such a thing as ISA Reds, but it sounds like he just misspoke, or got the name confused because the hens -are- red after all.

4. autumn_mi

autumn_mi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Mt Morris, MI
    thanks [​IMG]

5. snooze

snooze New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Hi Autumn
    I've just red your question about Isa Reds. I bought three about 15months ago and they are good layers. They definitely said they were Isa Reds.

snooze.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Their inventing that term, I'd guess. Likely breeding ISA Brown stock and perhaps adding some Red. That'd be my guess, because the ISA Poultry site only lists the Brown and the White.

ISA is just one division of the large conglomerate of Hendrix.

http://www.isapoultry.com/en/Products/Isa.aspx

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  7. Wlsngrl

Wlsngrl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Must be. I went back to Tractor Supply to find out if they had any Red Stars because my Buff Orps are not that at all. The lady told me it was an Isa Red, as well.

8. deerlady11

deerlady11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    I am curious as well. I just bought 25 ISA "Red" pullets from Tractor Supply. Yet I cannot find a thing about them online other than this thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by