Isaac vs. Incubator

WhiteCrested

Songster
Jul 23, 2012
Largo, FL
As you may have heard, Isaac is hitting Florida & other states. I live in Florida and the storm will be hitting us tomorrow. They said to expect power outages (more than likely) for up to 3 days. My problem is I have at least 3 fertile eggs in my incubator and the power will be going out. What do you think I should do? I usually cover all the holes, and cover it with a blanket. But I don't know how long that will hold the heat & humidity in there. Any suggestions would be amazing.

if you are having power outages for up to 3 days, have you considered buying a backup generator?

Do you have a boat? If so I would pull the batteries out of it and go by a power inverter(about 30 bucks at walmar even cheaper at harbor fieght) and you would have your power. Add a solor panel to it and you would have a solor powered generator for well under a hundred dollars. Depending on the size of inverter you could even run a fridge. Could show you pics of mine if you like.

Red

I hooked mine up just to show you in case you wanted to see it work. Picture 1 is a dual purpose battery any 12v battery will work depending on the size of the battery(Amps) will determind how often you will have to charge it up. Picture 2 is it the inverter under full load. It turns DC power(battery) into house hold AC 120 power. My incubator has 2 40 watt bulbs so it peeks out with the fan running and the inverter 84 watts, the inverter uses a watt or two due to cooling fan and the digatal read out (some do not have this). Picture 3 is the inveter and its a 410 watts continiuos but it will do 820 peek(for a short period) its also the kind that will tell you how much juice you have in the battery as shown in pict 3 and the output of watts in picture 4. You could hook this up to a solor panel, a lawn tractor, a car just depends on it you want to drain the battery or run the car and waste the gas.

Wow. Good luck with the hurricane. :( I hope you guys are doing okay. It does look like it's moved west!

I was in Houston for Hurricane Ike and we lost power for two weeks. Not a fun time. :(

Don't know if this would work or not - but it's something I might try if I were in your shoes. If it looks like the electricity might go out, you could put some bricks (or large rocks) in your oven to get them hot. Then if the electricity goes out - wrap the hot bricks/rocks in towels and put them around the incubator to keep the temp up. Of course it wouldn't be regulated - but I would give it a shot rather than lose the eggs.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom