Isabel vs Lavender genetics in Ameraucanas

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
I am very excited to pick up my first pair of pure-bred (however pure on only the breed, not pure varieties) Ameraucanas on Monday. I met the birds today and fell in love with them.

The hen is black, although she has a tad bit of gold leakage around the face. She does have what appears to be white mottling, but that could just be fresh black feathers growing in.
F5B76D8C-94B4-496B-9E8D-338AAA5478AA.jpeg 0AEBD77C-BF94-48C3-A122-26C1D1CED05D.jpeg
The cock is self blue, but with what seems like brassiness, though it is not. I called this Isabel because of the tan/lemon colored feathers. His wings have half tan, half self blue secondaries. He does have shafting.
142A1DB2-7B24-46A6-A522-F6644E2F09DF.jpeg 7FF4B504-7970-4BF7-9DC7-41695DAA8B30.jpeg
Included some pictures from the visit.

My question is:
If I were to breed these two to produce more self blue (or maybe even more Isabel, if the tan color can be be formally arranged on the bird), how would I go about doing this?
With pure Blacks x Self Blues, it would be simple (F1- black, breed together or back to self blue, depending on type, and keep all the e self blues from there). But with these unknown colors, I’ve no idea how to do this. Would it be the same or completely different? These will most not be show birds; these guys aren’t perfect at all. I did not get these from a breeder, and I understand what that means. The person I got them from wanted me to help him breed some self blues.

Edit: If there is no way to make the Isabel looking color to be like it is for standard, then how could I completely eliminate it? (What genes are it?)
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
The Rooster is Isabel. The hen is Black.

I am not sure what background The Ameraucana breeders use as as base for their Isabel efforts, but I believe it could only have been "Wheaten" as based

So let say the hen is pure for black with the e allele being Extended Black E/E.

Her genetic make up for her color is E/E, Lav+/Lav+, possibly gold based (based on the gold leakage) s+/-

The Isabel rooster is eWh/eWh, lav/lav, s+/s+

The cross will be E/eWh, Lav+/lav, s+/s+ for males and s+/- for females

I recommend to just do Isabel x F1 hen to get 50% Lavender(Self Blue and Isabel) The Self Blue will show a few leakage due to them being E/eWh

1645835668010.png

Last edited:
I do believe she is gold based, yes. So because the cock is Isabel, he will automatically be gold and Wheaton based?
Thank you for the help. That does clear some stuff up. We can only really assume for now because we don’t know the lineage at all, but I appreciate your input.
Love the picture, too.

Back
Top Bottom