Isbar thread

Pics
I've been thinking more about this... especially the one with a little crest popping up.... I assume you were hatching only Isbar eggs. IF the Cream Legbar did manage to be the daddy, the chicks would have been barred (if he is double barred as he should be to produce autosexing chicks). So this crested baby could not be from him. It may be genetics from a mix up earlier down the line I suppose.

Now if you were hatching both Isbar and Cream Legbar eggs, is it possible a Cream Legbar female was mated to an Isbar? Cream Legbar females only pass a barring gene to their sons, so a female offpsring will be nonbarred and probably crested.

Nope. I was hatching only Isbar (or what I thought were Isbar) chicks. I currently have some Lemon Cuckoo Orphington x Pure Ameracauna and they are the fluffiest, cutest things I've ever hatched! (I'm doing an olive egger project). I think they should be called "super puffs"!

Chicken genetics are very fascinating. Other than the puffiness, these 2 do not have any coloring at all like their parents. Hen is solid black pure Ameracauna and rooster, of course is lemon cuckoo orp (English). Chicks look like they will the brownish!

I thought you might enjoy a Brahman/ Isbar

I thought you might enjoy a Brahman/ Isbar

HANDSOME!

I've been thinking more about this... especially the one with a little crest popping up.... I assume you were hatching only Isbar eggs.  IF the Cream Legbar did manage to be the daddy, the chicks would have been barred (if he is double barred as he should be to produce autosexing chicks).  So this crested baby could not be from him.  It may be genetics from a mix up earlier down the line I suppose. 

Now if you were hatching both Isbar and Cream Legbar eggs, is it possible a Cream Legbar female was mated to an Isbar?  Cream Legbar females only pass a barring gene to their sons, so a female offpsring will be nonbarred and probably crested.

Nope. I was hatching only Isbar (or what I thought were Isbar) chicks. I currently have some Lemon Cuckoo Orphington x Pure Ameracauna and they are the fluffiest, cutest things I've ever hatched! (I'm doing an olive egger project). I think they should be called "super puffs"!

Chicken genetics are very fascinating. Other than the puffiness, these 2 do not have any coloring at all like their parents. Hen is solid black pure Ameracauna and rooster, of course is lemon cuckoo orp (English). Chicks look like they will the brownish!

About this... I have been wondering if there is such a thing as a dark splash color. I hatched some BBS Orpington chicks last year that I thought were splash because of the light down color, but they grew up blue. But they were not the nicely laced blues like the moms and seem to be more of a mottled blue like I would expect if the white on a splash was blue and the feathers that would be blue are just darker blue. And we do see dark blues and lighter blues. Perhaps everyone just thought they were a poor quality blue. Call me crazy, but that might explain how these chicks came from a splash/splash mating.

:celebrate I just picked up a young dark blue isbar cockerel today! My 5 girls are going to be very happy in about a month. :D

HANDSOME!
About this... I have been wondering if there is such a thing as a dark splash color. I hatched some BBS Orpington chicks last year that I thought were splash because of the light down color, but they grew up blue. But they were not the nicely laced blues like the moms and seem to be more of a mottled blue like I would expect if the white on a splash was blue and the feathers that would be blue are just darker blue. And we do see dark blues and lighter blues. Perhaps everyone just thought they were a poor quality blue. Call me crazy, but that might explain how these chicks came from a splash/splash mating.

celebrate.gif
I just picked up a young dark blue isbar cockerel today! My 5 girls are going to be very happy in about a month.
big_smile.png

Wow! Those brahman/Isbars are colorful - love them. I should share some pics of my splash Isbar crosses! I think they are gorgeous!!! I KNOW dad is my splash Isbar. Mom is one of my big brown egg layers (black copper marans, blue laced red wyandotte, light brahma, speckled sussex, RIR, or my ? big red mystery hen from TSC. Well, here they are....would you say they have "laced" feathers? The ones around the neck are really pretty. Hopefully, they will lay a pretty olive egg for me in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom