Isbar thread

Pics
Definitely a splash. I wish I could tell you the sex but the Isbars are very difficult to sex. I am working on finishing the autosexing feature that was intended for the Isbars. The world needs an autosexing green egg layer.
How are you going about that project with the autosexing? I understand it is more difficult because of the blue genetics.

Last edited:
Edited as I found the info for the project in my notes: (I was discussing Silverudd on a different thread):

Breeding for Autosexable Isbars should be a simple Straightforward thing, just cross a Cream Legbar rooster to Isbar Pullets, keep the F1 males and cross them back to Isbars, then do a BC1 x BC1 cross to obtaint he double barred males.. Males should be very Pale light blue with a headspot, females will be much darker with a smaller headspot.

But... it can also make for a cool Sexlinked Project,

For Quick Sexlinks that produce Bluish or light greenish eggs..

Isbar Male crossed to Cream Legbar Females would produce Sexlinks, males would have a Headpsot and females would be solid colored.

you can take these F1 Blue or black Barred males and cross them back to Isbars to continue with the Autosexing Isbar project

Last edited:
I was able to snap a few photos with my phone between torrential downpours today. These are my 5 month old Isbars. We should be seeing green eggs soon!

First, the most handsome blue cockerel, much more developed than the splash of the same age.

The only decent one of the splash pullet, who was LEAVING the scene of the photo session at a high rate of speed:

And the most photogenic blue pullet:

Ignore the Marans in the background...

This one has the blue cockerel standing up nicely:

They look to be good layers with nice open pelvic structure. Hope it's soon!

Please tell me what you think of this comb. I am wondering if it is a rooster I would want to breed. I am worried that this is considered a side sprig. Thank you for your help and advice.

Please tell me what you think of this comb. I am wondering if it is a rooster I would want to breed. I am worried that this is considered a side sprig. Thank you for your help and advice.
Yes, that is a side sprig. If you have another choice for a rooster to breed, all other things being equal, I would choose another without sprigs. I have culled gorgeous roosters of my Swedish Flower Hens for side sprigs, but ONLY because I have had other equally nice roos without sprigs. Side sprigs do not affect the utility of the breed, only the show quallity. However, hens are a different story. I think the gene pools of both of these breeds are still too small within the U.S. to cull for a cosmetic flaw just yet. IMHO, of course.

Yes, that is a side sprig. If you have another choice for a rooster to breed, all other things being equal, I would choose another without sprigs. I have culled gorgeous roosters of my Swedish Flower Hens for side sprigs, but ONLY because I have had other equally nice roos without sprigs. Side sprigs do not affect the utility of the breed, only the show quallity. However, hens are a different story. I think the gene pools of both of these breeds are still too small within the U.S. to cull for a cosmetic flaw just yet. IMHO, of course.
X2. I wouldn't use him.

Hi Everyone!
I am just thrilled to death. I had ordered 6 Isbar Hatching eggs, and let me tell you, it was the longest 21 days of my life. I am in VA, and these eggs were shipped in 100 degree weather, then we had those devastating storms and lost power for 4 days. The poor generator worked over time keeping the fridge and incubator going. I had 3 eggs hatch yesterday! Here they are at 24 hours old. I think I got 2 Blues and a Splash. I can't wait to watch them grow up :)

I know this is going to sound like a silly question. Your center splash chick looks yellow in this photo, is it? Do the splash of this breed come with yellow down as chicks?

Edited as I found the info for the project in my notes: (I was discussing Silverudd on a different thread):

Breeding for Autosexable Isbars should be a simple Straightforward thing, just cross a Cream Legbar rooster to Isbar Pullets, keep the F1 males and cross them back to Isbars, then do a BC1 x BC1 cross to obtaint he double barred males.. Males should be very Pale light blue with a headspot, females will be much darker with a smaller headspot.

But... it can also make for a cool Sexlinked Project,

For Quick Sexlinks that produce Bluish or light greenish eggs..

Isbar Male crossed to Cream Legbar Females would produce Sexlinks, males would have a Headpsot and females would be solid colored.

you can take these F1 Blue or black Barred males and cross them back to Isbars to continue with the Autosexing Isbar project

What does BC1 stand for (Back Cross?)? THis would be a really cool project. It wouldn't work on the splashes though, right?

What does BC1 stand for (Back Cross?)? THis would be a really cool project. It wouldn't work on the splashes though, right?
A BC1 is a F1 hybrid crossed with one of its parents. A BC2 is created when the BC1 is crossed with the parent that created the F1.

Not sure on the splash since I only have black and blue Isbars. I assume you would still get the barring in the chick down similar to the white sport legbars.

Back
Top Bottom