Isbar thread

Pics
and for the record, i actually didn't "make" my isbar/marans crosses, i got them from someone else as chicks. was definitely curious to see what the egg color was like! it's a very true OLIVE -- I actually prefer the lighter, more minty or pastel greens.

AND, i currently have one pullet getting closer to point-of-lay who's the offspring of one of the isbar/marans crosses, mated with a blue isbar rooster -- she's blue, and is 1/4 marans, 3/4 isbar -- looking forward to seeing what HER eggs look like! hoping for a richer green, maybe somewhere in between the shades...

i will report back once she lays an egg!

I'm missing something here. What is the reason for crossing the Isbars with Marans?
Mega Awesome Olive Egger? Plus, I do better with a variety of projects at one time. My brain is bent like that. :) I do not want to kill or sell my extra Isbar roos for meat, so I have been thinking of eventually adding some Marans hens in to keep them happy, and turn the resulting hatches into a side OE project. I really like variety of colored eggs in my cartons. (...unless I have in demand stock, and no excess gentlemen. Wouldn't that be great?) I am just in the ideas phase but it seems I am not the first to think of it. Right now I am happy to watch them grow.

Cool. Great idea for extra roosters. I'd like to see the eggs produced by DCchicken. She is crossing with a Legbar for several reasons, not the least to get autosexing.

and for the record, i actually didn't "make" my isbar/marans crosses, i got them from someone else as chicks. was definitely curious to see what the egg color was like! it's a very true OLIVE -- I actually prefer the lighter, more minty or pastel greens.

AND, i currently have one pullet getting closer to point-of-lay who's the offspring of one of the isbar/marans crosses, mated with a blue isbar rooster -- she's blue, and is 1/4 marans, 3/4 isbar -- looking forward to seeing what HER eggs look like! hoping for a richer green, maybe somewhere in between the shades...

i will report back once she lays an egg!
They might be more toward the avocado green, that would be cool! Looking forward to the photos.

Wish me luck gang...I started off with 14 Isbar eggs and it looks like only two (if I am lucky) will make it to lock down Tuesday. They said Isbars can be hard to hatch, but...this is by far my worst hatching effort, ever. Hope I see two happy healthy chicks next week!? Best wishes to anybody else out there with Isbars in the 'bator.

Wish me luck gang...I started off with 14 Isbar eggs and it looks like only two (if I am lucky) will make it to lock down Tuesday. They said Isbars can be hard to hatch, but...this is by far my worst hatching effort, ever. Hope I see two happy healthy chicks next week!? Best wishes to anybody else out there with Isbars in the 'bator.
I have good luck with my own eggs but dismal results from shipped eggs. Good luck!

Quote: I agree. I have had excellent hatches from my own eggs, but those I have shipped out have not fared as well.
sad.png
One thing I have noticed is that my Isbars usually take an extra day or two to hatch and some that I thought were very iffy at lockdown did hatch, much to my surprise, so don't give up on them too soon.

Back
Top Bottom