Isbar thread

Now for the egg category they should do great. There eggs are lovely. You don't have to bring the bird to show it's eggs.

Our local 4-h doesn't do "fancy/rare breed" category.  They have one for pet quality which means they judge them on how well they are kept because they are not show quality birds.  So they do not compete for best in class or best in show.  Your major awards for quality.  So you really aren't in the competition.   Also there are often points awarded during showman ship for  "breed and variety characteristics."   These are points for how well your showmanship bird conforms to it's breeds standard.  If your bird isn't a recognized breed or a poor quality bird for it's breed you can still use it for showmanship.  You will just not receive those points.  If your son just wants to do 4-H for fun then this is a fine choice.  But be warned if he wants to compete and wants a chance at winning then picking a breed that is not recognized by the APA isn't going to be his best choice.  I have this breed and I have a daughter who does 4-h.  I would not have her use this breed for her 4-H project. 
Cool! We are still looking. I am thinking that even hatching eggs would be a fun project for his group.

Had a buyer change their mind, so here is the ad:

12 rare Blue ISBAR Hatching Eggs $45 available to ship Monday. Our Isbars lay minty green to light sage green, some with speckles. Chicks can be blue, black and/or splash. Isbars are medium size prolific layers of large green eggs and are very feed efficient and calm. Ships from NW Oregon. Buyer pays choice of single or double box, Priority or Express. Extras are likely to be sent. PM to purchase.

My blue Isbar cockerel, Captain. He's 6 months old and just the sweetest boy. Definitely my favorite boy in my flock.

And today one of my Isbar/dorking girls laid her first egg! Pictures are a couple months old but show her coloring well. Her comb is a lot bigger and obviously more red now. My oldest son named her Sparrow.

My blue Isbar cockerel, Captain. He's 6 months old and just the sweetest boy. Definitely my favorite boy in my flock. And today one of my Isbar/dorking girls laid her first egg! Pictures are a couple months old but show her coloring well. Her comb is a lot bigger and obviously more red now. My oldest son named her Sparrow.
My toddler says he likes and wants the egg. He is so silly. Congratulations on the first egg.

Last edited:
They might be more toward the avocado green, that would be cool! Looking forward to the photos.

hello all, and happy new year!! i haven't been on this site at all since October, life simply got too busy to keep up, BUT I'm happy to report that my 1/4 marans, 3/4 isbar pullet has just started laying, finally, and indeed they are a medium avocado green! i'll try to remember to take a photo to share -- they look quite nice!

hello all, and happy new year!! i haven't been on this site at all since October, life simply got too busy to keep up, BUT I'm happy to report that my 1/4 marans, 3/4 isbar pullet has just started laying, finally, and indeed they are a medium avocado green! i'll try to remember to take a photo to share -- they look quite nice!

That's awesome! I'd love to see pics of that egg!

Congrats on the egg, lawatt!
clap.gif

I have found the egg color genetics with my Isbar mixes interesting. I have always heard that the rooster is responsible for the egg color, but I am not finding that to be the case. I have a girl who is Isbar roo x SFH pullet. She just started laying and lays a cream colored egg like her mother. I also have 2 girls that are Orpington roo x Isbar hens. They both lay eggs in the green range - one is a gray/green and the other is a light olive egg.

Sometime in the future, I may breed the Isbar x SFH to her brother. It will be interesting to see if any green egg layers result.

Congrats on the egg, lawatt!
clap.gif

I have found the egg color genetics with my Isbar mixes interesting. I have always heard that the rooster is responsible for the egg color, but I am not finding that to be the case. I have a girl who is Isbar roo x SFH pullet. She just started laying and lays a cream colored egg like her mother. I also have 2 girls that are Orpington roo x Isbar hens. They both lay eggs in the green range - one is a gray/green and the other is a light olive egg.

Sometime in the future, I may breed the Isbar x SFH to her brother. It will be interesting to see if any green egg layers result.

Hmmm, that is interesting. I was expecting a lightly colored egg from my Isbar/dorking cross. Father is Isbar mother is Dorking. Sparrow is a new layer. This is the second egg I got from her. It should be interesting to see what her sister produces(she's also Isbar/dorking)

Back
Top Bottom