Isbar thread

Is there a standard now? Im pretty sure GFF had 2 different imports. The first had black eyes. The second had yellow eyes....and alot of other differences. Are the 2013 imports (black eyed) preferred?
I wonder about dominant and recessive on eye color. Would a black eyed bird over a yellow eyed bird produce 50/50? My brain hurts

No standards yet. I personally like the dark eye better but if the two different types are pure Isbar I'm not adverse to sacrifice personal preference for some genetic diversity.

My vote is for dark eyes -- that is one thing that drew me to the breed in the first place. My vote is also for red earlobes...... just sayin'.
frow.gif

Here are a couple...
Please think carefully before mating hatchmates just to sell hatching eggs. The genetic diversity of Isbars in the USA is quite limited. Your birds are young yet to choose breeders in my opinion. The yellow legs on the splash cockerel would be a real concern for me, and also the muddy look to his feather pattern where the separation of colors is not clear. What is the origin of these birds?

We all have our opinions about type and breeding goals. For us, we are looking at a medium sized, lighter build bird (layer type as opposed to dual-purpose build) with moderate tail angle, balance, production type. Preference here is for dark eyes. Production is paramount, as is egg color (no tannish or brownish eggs, though sage green is acceptable in our flock but not "olive"). Feed efficiency and forage ability are also important here. We don't like a "gamey" look of too-slender/insubstantial type with squirrel tails and low wingset.

Quote: I strongly agree with not breeding hatchmates. It is not a good idea for any breed, but Isbars in particular in this country are just starting to recover from all the problems that plagued them early on. Breeding siblings is asking for trouble.

As far as which cockerel to keep for breeding purposes, color (as in blue, black or splash) is really quite far down the list. Think first about choosing the one that best fits the breeding goals for this breed (lots of good ones in Ihilani Coffee's post
thumbsup.gif
), eliminating negatives like side sprigs, split wings, bad temperament, etc. Do your homework now, before your birds are breeding age. Better to hold off and make sure you are making good breeding choices than rushing in and getting a reputation for making poor ones.

Thanks for the input. Yes I am still learning. They all came from very large mint green eggs so it will be interesting when they start laying to see what I get. I guess I will start there. How does this guy look in form, he has two dark eyes!
See below

Back
Top Bottom