Isbar thread

I also have 4 little ones, and mine are 5 weeks old today. Two of the cockerels were obvious well before 2 weeks of age, and the other was obvious at a little over 2 weeks. Those little combs and wattles grew FAST!

Last edited:
I picked up four Isbars today! Three blacks and a splash! When do these little guys become sexable?
Yay!! pictures?
caf.gif

So, I just received my hatching eggs for my first isbars. YEAH! But the color of the eggs are not quite what I expected. Some are definitely green while other are more of a light tan, or tan with spots. Should I be concerned? or is this normal?

So, I just received my hatching eggs for my first isbars. YEAH! But the color of the eggs are not quite what I expected. Some are definitely green while other are more of a light tan, or tan with spots. Should I be concerned? or is this normal?

The later imports have been known to have brown or tan eggs. I know you aren't going to crack your shipped eggs, but when they hatch, check the inside of the shell. It should be blue if the hen carries 2 blue genes. That is what you want. If it is white she is heterogeneous for the blue gene and essentially a green/brown/tan egg layer and not true Silverudd Blue. @KYTinpusher explains all this much more eloquently than me.

The later imports of Silverudd Blue's have problems like this as well as red leakage due to being crossed with something else at some point in their history.

What are your hopes/plans for these chickens? There are a couple people here who have reported their hens laying tan.

I haven't had any that do. They are all different some hues of deep green with tan fleck to blueish. Very pretty eggs. If you plan on a backyard pet then it won't matter that they lay tan. If you want to breed them in the future then it's going to present a problem.

What kind of stock is your breeder breeding from?

Here's a couple pics of my current roo. He is 20 wks in this pic. I think he is beautiful, but I'm new to this breed.

Here is a blue cockerel that is about 3 wks in this pic. He's gonna be nice too I think.

Welcome to Silverudd's Blues! Adorable!

[/URL]
These are terrible pics
Welcome to Silverudd's Blues! Cute!

Looks like you should be getting some nice green eggs soon.

I was thinking the 'mottled' was not the correct color. So would you call that bird a Silverudd Blue? Interestingly I believe it is also 'rumpless' as shown in the following pictures. (and I think only Araucanas are rumpless)??

I was considering starting a breeding program but would definitely not use any of the black birds.
@ChicKat
Here they are along with three Bielefelders!

Cute chicks! Congratulations on your new Silverudd's Blues!

The later imports have been known to have brown or tan eggs. I know you aren't going to crack your shipped eggs, but when they hatch, check the inside of the shell. It should be blue if the hen carries 2 blue genes. That is what you want. If it is white she is heterogeneous for the blue gene and essentially a green/brown/tan egg layer and not true Silverudd Blue. @KYTinpusher explains all this much more eloquently than me.

The later imports of Silverudd Blue's have problems like this as well as red leakage due to being crossed with something else at some point in their history.
Welcome to Silverudd's Blues!

Actually, it only takes one copy of the blue egg gene to make the shells blue. It is a dominant gene. A white shell inside means the hen does not carry the blue egg gene at all and should be removed from the breeding pool, but they usually make excellent members of a layer flock. To see the color of the shell inside, you must peel away both inner membranes.

The color of green can vary widely among the population of Silverudd's Blues. I have a second import hen in my layer group that lays what I call khaki colored eggs. If I put them next to a brown egg, they look slightly green, but when compared to a green egg, they look brown. The important point is the inside of the shell is blue. As cree57i said, you should check the inside of the shells to be sure they are blue. If possible, separate the ones you are not sure about in the hatcher so that you know which chick came from which egg in case they are not all blue inside.The first picture is of the khaki egg, the next is the inside compared to the inside of a light brown egg.

Here is a basket of Silverudd's Blue eggs, though I admit that they are some of the best that I get.

Good luck with your hatch and let us know how it goes.

Thank you everyone! I will just have to patiently (impatiently) wait till they hatch. I have them separated out in the incubator so hopefully all goes well! I have some Swedish flowering hen eggs in there as well. She told me her stock came directly from greenfire farm, and I would like to breed and sell chicks down the road. That being said, does anyone sell hatching eggs? I will be interested in buying some more hatching eggs a little later this summer. I am super excited to get started on this breed!

Thank you everyone! I will just have to patiently (impatiently) wait till they hatch. I have them separated out in the incubator so hopefully all goes well! I have some Swedish flowering hen eggs in there as well. She told me her stock came directly from greenfire farm, and I would like to breed and sell chicks down the road. That being said, does anyone sell hatching eggs? I will be interested in buying some more hatching eggs a little later this summer. I am super excited to get started on this breed!

LOL! There are a bunch of people on the SFH thread as well as this thread that sell/breed eggs and chicks.

I would suggest you really do your research on both of these breeds before you purchase. Sometimes the place that seems like they would be the best (GFF) is not the best for these rare breeds. After you are educated, you can make informed choices for your breeding stock and know what your goals are.

There are also FB groups for both of these breeds that are very informative. Ask a bunch of questions and look at lots of pictures so you know what to look for, good and bad!

I have done tons of research on SFH, and I honestly believe I got some great stock from very reputable breeders. I have absolutely 0 complaints about my Swedish hen stock. I have been looking into Silverudds for over a month now, but honestly I have had not a lot of luck. That is why I am asking. I am not trying to be naïve, just trying to make some new connections to this breed. Another lady and myself have been trying to find someone in WI that has this breed and have come up with nothing. Honestly, the best people and information I have gotten are from th SFH FB page, but I have not been able to find the page for silverudd's until today. ( I have not been looking in the right spot in the past lol)

I do have to admit, I was too excited about the silverudd and getting impatient with the amount of people that I could find that sold hatching eggs, that I bought them from a lady I didn't have a lot of background from.
idunno.gif
Shame on me I know. I learned my lesson. But, I will be looking for more this summer :)

Back
Top Bottom