Isbar thread

Yes, and the comb appears to be very light pink in color. I would expect more comb development than that on a 7-week old cockerel.

She's pretty, by the way. Where did you get her?

I am new to Isbars. I went to pick up my first few chicks the other day and was surprised to see the variation of chicks in the brooder. The breeder is reputable and the chicks were 1st generation off Greenfire Farms stock. I would like to go back and pick up some more chicks at their next hatch, but I want to be more prepared. Does anyone have any pictures of what the various color chicks look like and what they feather out to. I will get some pics of my birds tomorrow to ask the opinion of the group. Also is there any "trick" to guessing what color a chick will be when grown. I love the splash coloring, mottled seems like it would be pretty but sounds like it is frowned upon. The blue and black would speak for themselves if the chicks were solid colors.

Thanks for you input.

After much waiting I've finally got my second group of Isbar chicks (this group is from Green fire)
I do have a question, I recognize the blues, blacks, and 1 splash chick. But what color are the two black and white chicks?

After much waiting I've finally got my second group of Isbar chicks (this group is from Green fire)
I do have a question, I recognize the blues, blacks, and 1 splash chick. But what color are the two black and white chicks?
I have seen others receive mottled chicks like you. They're either extras of another breed or not pure, so I wouldn't add them to any breeding program.

That has me a little concerned since I only purchased Isbar chicks and the extra (according to the shipping invoice) is also an Isbar.

That has me a little concerned since I only purchased Isbar chicks and the extra (according to the shipping invoice) is also an Isbar.
frow.gif
Welcome to BYC and the Isbar thread. Where are your first group of Isbars from? Do you have pictures?

GFF has mottled genes in their Isbar program
duc.gif
, so even those that are not showing the mottled coloring may be carrying the mottling gene. Mottled genes are not allowed in the foundation flocks in Sweden. If you want to breed Silverudd's Blues (formerly known as Isbars
big_smile.png
) you will need to do some test breeding to make sure your birds do not carry the gene. A few people who received the mottled chicks are breeding them as a project color, but they should be kept completely separate from a pure breeding program. Oh, and be prepared for pullets that lay brown eggs instead of green. Those are not as uncommon as they should be in this new import.
hmm.png

Thank you, I knew about the possibility of brown eggs and planned on placing those chicks. I'm actually not really interested in the mottled birds either, but my mom might be. I'll have to double check papers but I believe my first older chicks are from the first imports crossed with the second.

I am new to Isbars. I went to pick up my first few chicks the other day and was surprised to see the variation of chicks in the brooder. The breeder is reputable and the chicks were 1st generation off Greenfire Farms stock. I would like to go back and pick up some more chicks at their next hatch, but I want to be more prepared. Does anyone have any pictures of what the various color chicks look like and what they feather out to. I will get some pics of my birds tomorrow to ask the opinion of the group. Also is there any "trick" to guessing what color a chick will be when grown. I love the splash coloring, mottled seems like it would be pretty but sounds like it is frowned upon. The blue and black would speak for themselves if the chicks were solid colors.

Thanks for you input.

Here are a few new hatch pictures of Silverudd blue in blue, splash and black. The legs on the splash will turn willow color. Otherwise the legs, beak and eyes should be black. If you click on the album on my signature there are a bunch more pictures of Silverudd Blue (formerly Isbar). Mine are 1st import stock. The phone only gives me thumbnails and it is hard to find pictures to show you.

Back
Top Bottom