Isn’t recovering

Peggsblueinc

Chirping
Nov 1, 2019
Sandy valley,Nv
Have a chicken who has sour crop. I’ve done the natural remedies and now on the monistat 3% she still isn’t eating. It’s been 3weeks. And she’s blind in one eye. Everyday I go out and say I’m gonna cull her but then I sit and talk to her and she’ll make her chicken sounds and I give her one more day. She just stands or sits. Not doing what chickens do. Should I just cull her so she’s not in pain or suffering. At this point I think she’s probably going to starve. How long does it take to recover from sour crop.

Sorry, I have no recommendations for you. But, have been there with a hen in a different situation. :hugs
What remedies have you tried?

Have a chicken who has sour crop. I’ve done the natural remedies and now on the monistat 3% she still isn’t eating. It’s been 3weeks. And she’s blind in one eye. Everyday I go out and say I’m gonna cull her but then I sit and talk to her and she’ll make her chicken sounds and I give her one more day. She just stands or sits. Not doing what chickens do. Should I just cull her so she’s not in pain or suffering. At this point I think she’s probably going to starve. How long does it take to recover from sour crop.
How old is she?
Can you post photos of her and her poop?

When did she last lay an egg? Feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or fluid below the vent between her legs.

Most of the time a crop that is not emptying is a symptom of an underlying condition. Some common conditions are reproductive disorders, infection, worms and/or coccidiosis.

Not sure which article you are going by, but I recommend this one https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
You may need to give a combination of the treatments - coconut oil, the yeast medication and if there's blockage, then 1 stool softener or a flush may be needed to help get things moving. Often we focus on just one thing at a time, instead of stepping back and getting a good look at the whole picture.

Sorry, I have no recommendations for you. But, have been there with a hen in a different situation. :hugs
What remedies have you tried?
I’ve used the cinnamon chille powder ginger baking soda with water. Know the monistate but she’s just keeps getting weaker. This morning she just staying in her coop one leg up. I’ve given her watermelon worms and watered chick feed. But she really isn’t eating.
so how long do I keep trying. She looks so frail.

Back
Top Bottom