Isn't It Too Early For Eggs?

you know we all are here for you....all will be ok...just take a few minutes to remember that you are good to your babies
so there shouldn't be any problems.........we wouldn't have guinea's (and other critters) if we didn't love them and care for
them.... the little 'clowns' are our babies! Here's a hug!
hugs.gif

Waaahhhh....I guess I didn't successfully communicate the fact that I wanted some sympathy for my stressful day! My poor babies!! Lol
I AM sorry your birds had to go through that, but I'll bet it was harder on you than them. I assume you have to wait for the results now. How long will it take before you know you're certified? What does that involve? I'm curious to know how to go about it, and how much it costs (if you don't mind my asking), I'm assuming NPIP certified means you can sell to anywhere in the country? If so, I'll be one of your first customers! I'm not really interested in shipping guineas at first. I'm more interested in shipping Brabanter chickens.

I'll go do my homework on the internet, but I'd be interested to hear about your experience with this. :)

TarheelBirdy, I just looked quickly at the NPIP site, and I don't think it's for me. I just don't have enough chickens/guineas to make it worth my while, but it's good to know that you're going through it. The only reason I would want to do it is for my (hopefully soon-to-be) rare Brabanter chickens, and I don't know if I'll get into a breeding program or not. I may just keep the ones I have, hatch out a few every now and then for my own enjoyment. Gotta wait and see.

I'd still like to hear about your experience though.

I AM sorry your birds had to go through that, but I'll bet it was harder on you than them. I assume you have to wait for the results now. How long will it take before you know you're certified? What does that involve? I'm curious to know how to go about it, and how much it costs (if you don't mind my asking), I'm assuming NPIP certified means you can sell to anywhere in the country? If so, I'll be one of your first customers! I'm not really interested in shipping guineas at first. I'm more interested in shipping Brabanter chickens.

I'll go do my homework on the internet, but I'd be interested to hear about your experience with this. :)

I think they said it would be a week or two to get the results, and if all the birds were clean, they will send me a certificate. If any of the birds are not clean, they will come and take the bird(s), euthanize it and do further research with it. In order to be NPIP certified, ALL birds on your property must be tested and clean. In NC, it's $5 for up to 50 birds (per visit), and 10c per bird over that. Every state has its own requirements for shipping, but NPIP is pretty much required across the board. I will let y'all know what happens.

I collected around 16 eggs out of the nest, leaving about 5. I checked a couple of days later and something had gotten most of the eggs. I figured that would eventually happen. Yesterday I noticed one of the birds hanging out in the coop. I have a purchased coop with about 6 nesting boxes on the side, that you can raise an outer lid to gather the eggs. There was an egg in one of the nesting boxes. While I was cleaning out the coop, I guess someone couldn't wait, they laid their egg just outside the coop, she was rolling it around, I think trying to get it in the coop. When I finished cleaning, I put it in the nesting box with the other. Now today, there are 5 eggs in the box. I'm curious now as to what will happen. From what I have read, guineas don't normally lay in the nesting boxes. I guess if someone wants to sit on them I will have to let her. I just don't know, I really don't have the room or patience for more right now
hmm.png

MTerry - toss them out if you don't want more keets, but there is also breakfast omelets! You're VERY lucky to have her laying in the nest boxes!

Oh, I know they are good, I enjoyed them last year, and just had them for breakfast this morning. Much more flavor than store bought eggs!

and your girls would love them for breakfast too....scrambled up with their finely crumbled up egg shells tossed in....mine love when I have extra eggs ( as do my chickens and peafowl)!!

hu.gif

just wish I had one guinea egg right now! still have not seen any egg laying action from my ladies yet...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom