ISO Coop and run design plans

MamaGrizzly

Chirping
Aug 10, 2020
Hi! I am new to chickens, and we are building a chicken coop. We plan to start with 6-8 hens, but as I understand chicken math I feel I should build for at least 12-14 chickens. My husband would prefer a "smaller footprint" but that is negotiable. We have plenty of space. He is a contractor, so very handy. We would love to keep it cost effective (use leftover lumber) as we are also building a house. We live in Northeast Pennsylvania. We have 2 dogs. We would prefer to free range quite a bit (daily), but would like a reasonable run as well for any trips we take and/or predator issues. We want happy chickens lol. So far we are looking at the deep litter method, will have electricity in the coop, and do not plan to have roo's but I'm learning that isn't always the way it turns out even when purchasing sexed chicks. Id LOVE the coop to be a walk in, but could live without that. The run must be walk in. Storage for feed and bedding would be a huge plus.

Does anyone have an appropriately sized chicken coop plan that they have built and loved? It does not need to be hugely detailed with materials listed. Thank you!!!

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Well for starters, the suggest coop space per chicken is 2 to 3 square feet per bird inside the coop. But always go for more if you can. The more space the less likely you’ll have issues with squabbles, etc.

For the roost size, about 10-12in of roost space per bird, again, the more space on the roost, the better.

Now if you plane on having an attached chicken run/yard, the general rule of thumb is about 8-10 square feet per bird. And yes, if you can make it bigger than do so as in the size of the coop, roost and run you’ll want to account for always getting more chickens than you intended, IF possible (chicken math).

Anyhoo, this should give you and idea as to what size and set up you need. Good luck!

For the larger, Dual Purpose breeds that are most common in backyards, it's recommended to have 4 square feet per chicken in the coop (with 1/2 square foot of ventilation per bird), and 10 square feet per bird in the run.

Different management systems and different chickens can vary from this general guideline with more or less success.

I should build for at least 120-140 chickens. My husband would prefer a "smaller footprint" but that is negotiable. We have plenty of space. He is a contractor, so very handy. We would love to keep it cost effective (use leftover lumber) as we are also building a house. We live in Northeast Pennsylvania.

Fixed your typo for you, no worries... lol 😝
Good luck with he build and your birds!

It's not likely you'll find a detailed plan for building.
Many plans are not great designs,
so best to learn about good spacing and configuration before settling on a plan.

Walk-in coop for sure in your climate, extra large if you want storage inside,
and solid roofed run will make winter much nicer for both birds and keeper.
I made my coop inside a large shed.

Double the 4/10 rule of thumb for space.
Don't forget about winter ventilation in coop.
3 good articles to read before planning linked in my signature.

We live in Northeast Pennsylvania.
Welcome to BYC! @MamaGrizzly
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597093885402.png

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Well for starters, the suggest coop space per chicken is 2 to 3 square feet per bird inside the coop. But always go for more if you can. The more space the less likely you’ll have issues with squabbles, etc.

For the roost size, about 10-12in of roost space per bird, again, the more space on the roost, the better.

Now if you plane on having an attached chicken run/yard, the general rule of thumb is about 8-10 square feet per bird. And yes, if you can make it bigger than do so as in the size of the coop, roost and run you’ll want to account for always getting more chickens than you intended, IF possible (chicken math).

Anyhoo, this should give you and idea as to what size and set up you need. Good luck!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom