ISO Home for quail in Southeast Michigan

dianaross77

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 10, 2010
Grand Blanc, MI
Hi, friends! I haven't been on BYC in a really long time after having to give up my flock. Now I need your help. My mom called me a few days ago after they found a quail in their suburban backyard while mowing the lawn. I don't know anything about quail, but it appears to be fully grown. Igt was alone and really easy to catch. I think it escaped from someone's flock, but no one has posted on their neighborhood chat about missing birds. It seems to be in really good health, and while it isn't friendly, it's pretty docile. I live in the city in Genesee County and have no other birds and can't keep it. Any help finding someone reasonably local to take it would be much appreciated. I already tried the MI forum, but apparently the Michiganders can't behave and it was shut down...

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_131945.jpg
    IMG_20230901_131945.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Hi, friends! I haven't been on BYC in a really long time after having to give up my flock. Now I need your help. My mom called me a few days ago after they found a bobwhite in their suburban backyard while mowing the lawn. I don't know anything about quail, but it appears to be a male and fully grown. He was alone and really easy to catch. I think he probably escaped from someone's flock, but no one has posted on their neighborhood chat about missing birds. He seems to be in really good health, and while he isn't friendly, he's pretty docile. I live in the city in Genesee County and have no other birds and can't keep him. Any help finding someone reasonably local to take him would be much appreciated. I already tried the MI forum, but apparently the Michiganders can't behave and it was shut down...
That is not a Bob white that is a coturnix quail can’t tell the sex from his feathers.

I would put it up on local fb groups and Craigslist someone might claim it it had to have gotten away from someone close to you and recently they will not survive in the wild for long.
I went and got it because I knew it would get eaten. My mom has already checked the neighborhood groups, as stated in my original post and no one is claiming it. It could be because they either aren't allowed to have them or think they aren't.

Edit to add: I am not super comfortable with CL. There are way too many crazies out there.

This is a domestic coturnix quail. Someone in your mom's neighbourhood has a covey, so you might actually knock on a few doors. They don't have any homing instinct, but while they do fly, they don't fly well, so it probably didn't go too far from "home".

Good luck, and let us know if you find this one's home!

This is a domestic coturnix quail. Someone in your mom's neighbourhood has a covey, so you might actually knock on a few doors. They don't have any homing instinct, but while they do fly, they don't fly well, so it probably didn't go too far from "home".

Good luck, and let us know if you find this one's home!
I agree 100% if it’s a safe neighborhood that you feel safe knocking on doors I would do that.

Hi, friends! I haven't been on BYC in a really long time after having to give up my flock. Now I need your help. My mom called me a few days ago after they found a quail in their suburban backyard while mowing the lawn. I don't know anything about quail, but it appears to be fully grown. Igt was alone and really easy to catch. I think it escaped from someone's flock, but no one has posted on their neighborhood chat about missing birds. It seems to be in really good health, and while it isn't friendly, it's pretty docile. I live in the city in Genesee County and have no other birds and can't keep it. Any help finding someone reasonably local to take it would be much appreciated. I already tried the MI forum, but apparently the Michiganders can't behave and it was shut down...
I can’t help with the quail, but we Michiganders have apparently reformed and do have an active thread now 😁

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome.697050/post-27107993

It’s fairly active, maybe someone there can help.

Back
Top Bottom