ISO info for feeding runner ducks

Dm3223

Chirping
Oct 6, 2021
Hello all!
sorry, I’m sure that this topic has been answered a ton of times but I couldn’t really find a strait answer for what I was looking for.

I have three 15 week old runner ducks who are currently eating just duck grower with some greens here and there.

The bag is almost done and I was curious about the next feeding steps. What type of pellets would suggest next with winter coming?

I’ve been reading that people give their ducks oyster shells, cat food, pellots and greens Can someone break down what they feed their growing ducks in the winter and how often you give them cat food and oyster shells, thanks!

I have given my ducks (muscovy) chicken food for over 8 years they are fine. flock maintainer, layer feed, chick starter, dog food, whatever. they also have an acre+ of grass and weeds to free range in 24/7 so that seems to fill in any gaps. They also get veggie scraps on occasion.

I feed mine Purina Duck Pellets, which they love. They also forage in the yard all day, they get all our veggie waste (minus citrus, onion, garlic) and they get peas and mealworms for treats. I have two one year old runners and one about 6 months old. This food seems to keep them very happy and healthy

Thanks everyone:) So nothing more or special during the winter or any oyster shells at all? ( I’m in Canada so it can get fairly cold )

Thanks everyone:) So nothing more or special during the winter or any oyster shells at all? ( I’m in Canada so it can get fairly cold )
I wouldn't think oyster shells would be necessary until they start to lay eggs. I fed mine grower until they became of laying age, then started feeding them layer pellets and had a dish of oyster shell on the side for anyone who wanted it.

I wouldn't think oyster shells would be necessary until they start to lay eggs. I fed mine grower until they became of laying age, then started feeding them layer pellets and had a dish of oyster shell on the side for anyone who wanted it.
Cool thanks for the info. So you just leave the oyster shells out every day for whenever they feel like it? Also - curious what age did you ducks start laying eggs?

Cool thanks for the info. So you just leave the oyster shells out every day for whenever they feel like it? Also - curious what age did you ducks start laying eggs?
Yes. I have a terracotta pot filled with oyster shell with a hole in the bottom so it doesn't collect water. It's right next to their feed trough.
Mine didn't start laying until 9 months or so, which is pretty late for runners. I got them from a woman locally when they were about 6 months old. They all seemed like a good weight, not emaciated or anything, so I'm not sure why they took so long to start.

Mine get layer pellets and duck pellets. I've also given oyster shell. Sometimes scratch grains or cracked corn as a snack/treat. In the summer mine love zucchini. They also forage all day when I let them.

Back
Top Bottom