ISO Malines

Look's is about where the comparison ends. Yeah, they both lay eggs and the barred Rock is a better layer. In the dual purpose world most don't actually yield a good carcass. These are much larger and faster growing than a Barred Rock. Now, for me and my family living on a small farm, we need everything to serve a purpose to the max. Being it's a rare breed we can help it out while harvesting the roosters and hens that doesn't make the "cut". Having a small farm not only allows us the opportunity, we can also help heritage breed's for the long run. If we didn't, heritage breed's would be in bad shape. That's all.

Interesting, I always wonder about this with rare breeds that look so similar to common ones!
Yeah. I know what you mean. I've wondered the same myself before. Now day's I ask why do people breed hybrids for superior egg laying? It's funny really. Just think of how many breed's lay 250+ egg's a year now. Or 300+. Like, how can they improve on that? Egg size? I think it's part of "chicken math". It never really makes perfect sense.

Just out of genuine curiosity, I googled these and they look just like Barred Rocks- why do you prefer these?
They mature faster then BR so those not up to snuff can be harvested sooner vs taking 20-22 weeks and eating more feed. If I remember they are also crosses from several other breeds.

I’m following this. Looking for chicks in Canada. No hurry. We already have two hens - ended up with twice as many roosters, but these fellows are so calm and sweet.

Back
Top Bottom