ISO Oregon Mini Geese

Duck Buddies

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2020
I'm trying to locate some Oregon Mini Goose breeders, without any luck. Are there any on this page that sell eggs, goslings or adults? I've already posted in the Goose forum and didn't come up with anything.

Yes, I'm reserving a pair through them. But this is their last year hatching so I'd like to find some other breeders for genetic diversity

I think they all came from Holderreads, so I'm not sure how much good that's going to do you. Your best bet might be to ask them for an unrelated (or as unrelated as they can be) pair.

Yes, but some people outside of Holderread have had them for almost a decade now. There's got to be diversity outside of them at this point. And with this being the last year anyone can get them from Dave it's important to find other people who raise them.

But...they all came from Holderread who created them. I just don't think there are enough out there that you're going to find much genetic diversity regardless of where you get them from. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there are a whole lot of them around.

But...they all came from Holderread who created them. I just don't think there are enough out there that you're going to find much genetic diversity regardless of where you get them from. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there are a whole lot of them around.
He is right about the diversity.
I bought my original mini sebastopols from Dave. He is the only one I ever found that breeds them, so I introduced several other bloodlines to them and now have 6th generation minis I'm working with. So even that is far enough away from the original bloodlines that they can be used together in a breeding program if needed.

It's important, as he also mentioned, to find other breeders since each works towards their own lines. With a breed that's hard to find, you need the diversity from other breeders to help keep the breed going (as long as it doesn't offset your own breeding goals for you flock). Otherwise you have to rely on crossbreeding for a certain number of genetics to get the diversity, which can set your breeding flocks back many years. It's better and easier to simply switch with breeders who have the same goals

He is right about the diversity.
I bought my original mini sebastopols from Dave. He is the only one I ever found that breeds them, so I introduced several other bloodlines to them and now have 6th generation minis I'm working with. So even that is far enough away from the original bloodlines that they can be used together in a breeding program if needed.

It's important, as he also mentioned, to find other breeders since each works towards their own lines. With a breed that's hard to find, you need the diversity from other breeders to help keep the breed going (as long as it doesn't offset your own breeding goals for you flock). Otherwise you have to rely on crossbreeding for a certain number of genetics to get the diversity, which can set your breeding flocks back many years. It's better and easier to simply switch with breeders who have the same goals
I understand how important genetic diversity is, I just don't think he's going to have a lot of luck finding it.

What did you cross with his mini Sebs (just out of curiosity)?

He didn't create them from a single pair. There's a handful of color lines already from him. There's got to be hundreds of people in the US who have them and are going to be looking for the same thing in the near future. I appreciate your opinion though

I understand how important genetic diversity is, I just don't think he's going to have a lot of luck finding it.

What did you cross with his mini Sebs (just out of curiosity)?
He won't find it if he doesn't ask! It doesn't take much. All he needs to start is 1 different line and he can use that for a few generations before looking for another genetic line.

Back
Top Bottom