ISO white Bresse hatching eggs.

Burdi

Chirping
Oct 30, 2020
I want to start a flock of white Bresse. There are hatching eggs on eBay but would prefer to buy from someone local with a stable flock. I am in San Diego county CA.

Just saw that hilltop farms in corona is now selling Bresse eggs. Just listed on their website. Was not listed a few days ago. They have a pretty long list of hatching eggs. I have no idea what availability of the eggs is but will check next week.

All Bresse are white. There is a breeder in CA, can't remember their name. Just don't get any from Bresse Farms. Their birds have been outcrossed.

All Bresse are white. There is a breeder in CA, can't remember their name. Just don't get any from Bresse Farms. Their birds have been outcrossed.
Why is outcrossing bad? Isn't bringing in new genetics from the same breed a good thing, or are you saying that their Breese have been crossed with dissimilar breeds?

Why is outcrossing bad? Isn't bringing in new genetics from the same breed a good thing, or are you saying that their Breese have been crossed with dissimilar breeds?
Brining in new genetics can be damaging too, if those new birds had flaws. You can go a long, long time with linebreeding if you're doing it carefully, and those usually get rid of bad traits quickly

Outcrosses do become necessary in varieties with a shallow gene pool like the Bresse in the USA. Anyone can do it but only breeders with a sound understanding of the breeds genetics and the genetics of the outcross are likely to improve the variety. It is a multistage process that involves lots of space, time, experience and many culls.

l will be getting chicks from Bresse farm, yes the one with multiple colors in the near future. They have those other colors of Bresse because they purchased them from Greenfire who had imported them. Blue, black and grey/penciled silver are recognized colors in France. The splash I am uncertain about.

FYI- Splash is the Blue variety. Blue hatches out black, splash and blue color.

I looked at the Bresse farm website. No idea what they got going on with a sort of Columbian Bresse in photos. Doesn't match what they sell and certainly doesn't speak well of any attempt to standard.

Back
Top Bottom